Growing irish moss

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaveGerard

Reaction score
A coworker got a little Irish moss plant, and then gave it to me. I think I will take it home and try to grow it, is there anything that I would need to do to it to make it good for clearing beer? I haven't used Irish moss yet in a beer so I don't know anything about it.
Thanks

DaveGerard said:
A coworker got a little Irish moss plant, and then gave it to me. I think I will take it home and try to grow it, is there anything that I would need to do to it to make it good for clearing beer? I haven't used Irish moss yet in a beer so I don't know anything about it.
Thanks

Irish Moss is a seaweed.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irish_moss

You may want to ask an aquarium forum.

Maybe he offered him some of that North Atlantic Randy Moss. It's so much more effective than the Pacific Coast variety.

Sagina (sa-JI-nuh) subulata (sub-yoo-LAH-tuh) is also known as Scottish Moss, or sometimes called Irish Moss, this is probably what he has. Easy to get them confused with a plant of the same name. That is why we now have binomial nomenclature in science, so little mistakes like this don't happen.

Hmmmm. I have a reef tank, I wonder if I could grow my own irish moss in my refugium. =)

Doubt it, it doesn't appear to be tropical.

-D

Cheesefood said:
Maybe he offered him some of that North Atlantic Randy Moss. It's so much more effective than the Pacific Coast variety.

It's also possible that it's the mid-Atlantic Santana Moss, although its production has dropped considerably in recent years.

homebrewer_99 said:
LIke Seattle's in the tropics???:drunk: :D

I only wish. =) (Actually, that would drive me nuts, I love the weather here)

My reef aquarium, however, is always a nice toasty 80 degrees. =)

-D

the_bird said:
It's also possible that it's the mid-Atlantic Santana Moss, although its production has dropped considerably in recent years.

Is that Papelbon taking a dump in your new avatar, Bird? :D

It would have been a good practical joke, except no one at my job knows anything about home brewing. The plant guy at the office brought it for the receptionist, said it was irish moss, so I took it when she said that she didn't want it. It's not really a plant, it's just a patch of green, well, moss. I did a little research on it, but are you guys saying that the irish moss used in brewing is more of a brand name for something else?

And I'm not dumb enough to buy a bucket of striped paint, when I only need half a bucket.

Irish Moss is cargeenan, which is a seaweed product. It's a thickener in some products, but in home brewing it is used to help the proteins coagulate and drop out. That's how it helps to clear your beer.

Ryan_PA said:
I take it that the receptionist is hot.

It's like a parade of the world's worst pickup lines in here everyday, delivery guys, the plant guy, clients, pretty much any man that walks in here. They spout lines so cheesy and borderline harassment that it makes me cringe, but she takes it all in stride.

Yooper, thanks for the help, that clears it up.

I should tell her to tell the guy to bring in some of that, I'd have 20 pounds of it by week's end.

Irish moss as used in brewing.
Chondrus crispus
choncr.gif

Maximum length: 15 cm.
Appearance: The plant branches into 0,3-1 cm wide lobes with flat edges. It has a consistency that resembles cartilage, especially in wave exposed areas. Normally dark red in colour, but when exposed to excessive sunlight can transform to a light yellow (as shown on the left side of the picture) or green colour. Underwater it can have a blue shimmer (look at the plants on the rock on the right side of the picture).
Depth: 0-15 m.
Environment Irish moss grows on rocks and cliffs, but even in rock pools. Often lives under large brown algae, especially knotted and toothed wrack.
Classification: Irish moss is a member of the red algae group.

Moss, Irish. Botanical: Chondrus crispus (STACKH.) Family: N.O. Algae. ---Synonyms---Carrageen. Chondrus. Carrahan

As used in gardens.
Sagina subulata
6993_l.jpg

rish Moss forms a lush 1" emerald green carpet of moss-like foliage with delicate white flowers in midsummer. Hardy enough for sunny or shady locations. Flowers bloom on short 2-4" stalks. Irish Moss is just the ground cover you need for rock gardens and planting between stepping stones or pavers. Stays green all year. Hardy in zones 4-8.

Aiko said:
Pun intended? :D

Argh, for once, no, I must be slipping.

And Orfy, based on that picture, I think that is what I have. I'm gonna pop this thing into the wife's herb garden (not the fun kind, the eating kind), and see what happens. I guess I'll just pick some and try it in an experimental brew.

Back