Growing in georgia heat

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

benzy4010

Reaction score
His will be my first time growing hops. I live in Atlanta where it's nice a hot in the summer. Do hops do well in the humidity and heat. My yard will get full sun but I don't know if it would be to much sun. Also won't the sun dry them out real bad. Should I just water the crap out of them in the am before work so they have nice wet soil in the am and early afternoon?

His will be my first time growing hops. I live in Atlanta where it's nice a hot in the summer. Do hops do well in the humidity and heat. My yard will get full sun but I don't know if it would be to much sun. Also won't the sun dry them out real bad. Should I just water the crap out of them in the am before work so they have nice wet soil in the am and early afternoon?

Pick varietals that are heat tolerant (Cascade, etc), and you may want to avoid UK/German varietals.

Watering is important, but don't flood them, you can get root rot. My friend grows Cascade in SC and he says 1-gallon per day per plant is common.

MC

We have been successfully growing hops in the Atlanta area for 4 years now. I've found that planting them in "Whiskey Barrel Planters" from Lowes works well. To ensure good drainage, 3/4" holes were drilled in the bottoms with about 4-6" of course stone before filling sith good rich soil. Since they are next to my back deck, they're easy to water. They are on the south side with virtually no shade. This year, we put about 2" of dark pine mulch to both keep the moisture in and to keep the soil warm. Every 2-3 days, they are well watered. Every 2-3 weeks, I water each planter with a gallon of Miricle-Grow.

I'll post a video on our website (BarleyNvine.com) of our hops so you can get a good idea how we've set up the trellises and planters. If you're in the Stockbridge area, stop by! DannyV

This is also my first year attempting to grow hops in Ga. I picked Centennial and Cascade. So far they are doing great besides the flood that we had a few weeks ago. i just water them in the morning before i go to work. Mine are almost 15' now

Can I post a picture of your trellis or your support for the bones I'm tying to design a setup for next season I just have a ghetto setup right now

Back