Growing hops in hot climates?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

njviking

Reaction score
So I've bought property in Panama to retire to someday. I also figured I'd open up a small brewery/restaurant on the property to keep me busy in said retirement.

Question : will hops thrive in the carribean climate.

I swear the more I travel there and most other central american countries the craft beer movement only has like.one variety of hops.

Eveey hoppy beer tastes the same as does the porters and stouts of central america.

What say the brain trust?

Yes. if possible. I am growing in Yucatan with a tropical climate at a latitude of 21 ° N, and my plants are growing well, have already withstood a temperature of 43 ° C.

FB_IMG_1480641379347.jpg

FB_IMG_1480641393008.jpg

FB_IMG_1480641401404.jpg

I was just in Playa and surrounds for 10 days. I've been going down there for over 20 years and have seen the area demolished by progress.

If you don't mind me asking; what hops are you growing?

are you a pro brewer down there? that area is ripe for a nice brewpub.

Hello, all my plants come from seed from different countries where they are available for sale here are no rhizomes available, the good part is that I am gathering a great amount of genetic material, even I am already doing my own plant crosses originating from seed.

7 months age from seed, began to bloom until the beginning of November, the first flowers were small as those of the photo and were acquiring greater size, at this moment are beginning their forced vernalization, stressing the plants without irrigation or fertilizer.

The quality of the cones is quite acceptable to very good, it is wonderful to go out to your garden and cut your own fresh cones.

I produce beer commercially, the market in this area is still very young, but it is increasing.

They literally just came in from Great Lakes Hops...Williamette, Willow Creek, Multihead and Amalia. I only ordered the last three and it appears they threw in the Williamette! Great people!

IMG_2843.jpg

Would you consider selling/sharing a few rhizomes? I'm near sea level at 22°N
Correction, I'm closer to 19° N in Hawaii. If you are willing, and have time, maybe you can set up a little Ebay store and sell the rhizomes. This is how I got my kveik yeast from Norway.

Back