Growing Hops in Colder, Shorter Summer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Arneba28

Reaction score
I live in Western NY, 20min from the Canadian border and would love to try and grow my own hops. However its only warm enough here to grow, and it doesnt frost for about 5-6 months, now we have not had our last night freeze here yet so technically I could still plant rhizomes correct?
Also, Because it will only be a "growing season" for 5 months or so will it simply take a few more years to get growth to its full potential?

I really don't know, but I think you'd be fine. You might have a shorter growing season, but you have long days. Some of the biggest vegetables I've ever seen grown were in Alaska.

As far as when, I'd probably wait till the date of your last frost (average). You probably won't get a reasonable harvest till year 2 regardless of what you do.

Very Good. Thank you. I know we can make it 120 days frost free, even in Buffalo thats possible.

New york was at one time a prime hops growing state. Albeit, IIRC, back in the mid 1800's. Just like Wisconsin, before mildew and other diseases forced the cultivation of them westward to drier climates.

The cascade i did last year did very well for 1st year. I really hope it lasted the winter here in WI. Too cold and snow covered yet to know if it made it.

in climates like yours and mine (colorado) we often get bit on the @ss by a late snow storm or frost. One way to combat this is to tent your plants. Make sure they have some good straw coverage to insulate them and a home make tent will serve as a min greenhouse. They are a hearty plant in general but this might give you a bit of a jump start on the season and perhaps a larger yield

Back