Growing hops from seed

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
seed preparation for 2023. pollination has begun
20220722_193816.jpg

20220722_193821.jpg
20220722_194714.jpg
20220722_195948.jpg
20220723_165628.jpg
20220724_100023.jpg

That’s a handsome male!

My best this year.

The mother is the very excellent First Gold (aka Prima Donna).
The father has mysterious origins.

He was born in March and passed 4m.
No signs of disease.
Good health.
Many flowers (good yield?)

20220727_203512.jpg
20220727_203523.jpg
20220727_212351.jpg
20220727_212357.jpg
20220727_212421.jpg

Since you told me you don't brew beer yet I have 2 questions. First, ware you crossbreeding for flavors, and if so how will you know when you have the right cross? And second, what do you do with your harvest?

if, I brew, but not often enough to test all my hops.
with my hops (Chinook, Cascade, EKG etc) the scent of the fresh cone is close to the finished beer.
so I base it on that.
and the following year, when I have harvested enough cones from a candidate seedling, I would brew with it.

My sister in law and me pulling up rhyzomes of wild hops in the Marais of Bourges. If for nothing else I will use them as decorative vines in the yard.
I really hope that yard is in France, and that you're not taking random rhizomes across international borders...

there are many genealogical origins.
some are quite hard citrus (typically Neomex), other ultra fruity notes (here again thanks to the genes Neomexicanus), or more subtle notes but on citrus and stone fruits

there are many genealogical origins.
some are quite hard citrus (typically Neomex), other ultra fruity notes (here again thanks to the genes Neomexicanus), or more subtle notes but on citrus and stone fruits
I meant the giants. Or are these huge cones from different pants?

Great detailed thread about growing and breeding hops!

I have been growing some in pots recently, just to get them started but I noticed that some have a lot of leaves and long bines, look healthy but the root system was still very small. I suspect I got too keen and used too much cow manure in the mix and so they had oversupply of nutrients, which might explain the lack of searching roots and therefore small root system.

I decided to repot into soil that I have an established bine growing in, its fluffy well decomposed humus type stuff from decomposed horse manure with plenty of little beasties living in it. the hops that grow there love it.

what is your preferred soil mix for growing in pots up to say 1.5ft diameter? what do you use for compost/fertiliser?
thanks.

So, last Feb I started stratifying these seeds and once they started popping, put out a few hundred. It's kind of like popping pop corn, once they begin sprouting, the majority sprout within maybe a month's time and then you get some stragglers and then nothing. Well, about 8 months after they were done, a few more began to pop in this bag I forgot to take out of the fridge. I'll try to keep these going until I can put them out but wonder if there will be any noticeable differences between these hold-outs and the ones that came up last year?

Attachments

• hop seedlings 1-23 from 2022.JPG
    hop seedlings 1-23 from 2022.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
Unless a seed lot is particularily small or precious, any seed that don't germinate at about the same time as the first ones is discarded, on the off-chance it's an inheritable trait. Long dormancy is not a practical trait for breeding.

It is several seedlings. I haven’t brewed it yet, it’s planned for this winter. They’re not analyzed at the moment, it’s very expensive.

Back