Grounded Brewing Technologies - 240V eBIAB System

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Quadrider

Reaction score
GBT will be hitting the market and taking pre-orders within the next 4 weeks on their turnkey 240v 30a eBIAB Setup. The kettle teaser they posted on IG looks absolutely killer: https://www.instagram.com/p/BkbuFQllKbr/

After emailing back and forth, here's what they are bringing to the table:

"The kit will include the following:
- Basket
- Pump
- All TC fittings (gaskets, clamps, hose clamps)
- 4 butterfly valves (3 for the kettle and 1 for the pump)
- Silicone tubing
- 30a 1 element BIAB panel with (Optional table top stand)
- TC temp probe
- TC Tee fitting
- 5500 watt TC element with power cord
- (Optional) Small plate heat exchanger with TC connections for wort, and GHT fittings for water hose (not plate chiller like a blichmann or something like that) an actual brewery style heat exchanger
- (Optional) Stainless steel table to house the system."

When asked about price point, they responded: "Pricing I am not sure on still have one last piece of the puzzle to get worked out then will have a better idea of the price." Given the fact their 240v 30a controller is extremely competitive on pricing (and beautifully made) , I sure hope they fall within a reasonable price point. Especially after the huge SSbt "wait and see" disappointment.

As for Whirlpool, they responded: "We have made those inlets on the side of the pot tangential so as the liquid comes in it automatically whirlpools the wort for you without any additional attachments"

Sold..... Take my Money

GBT will be hitting the market and taking pre-orders within the next 4 weeks on their turnkey 240v 30a eBIAB Setup. The kettle teaser they posted on IG looks absolutely killer: https://www.instagram.com/p/BkbuFQllKbr/

After emailing back and forth, here's what they are bringing to the table:

"The kit will include the following:
- Basket
- Pump
- All TC fittings (gaskets, clamps, hose clamps)
- Silicone tubing
- 30a 1 element BIAB panel with (Optional table top stand)
- TC temp probe
- TC Tee fitting
- 5500 watt TC element with power cord
- (Optional) Small plate heat exchanger with TC connections for wort, and GHT fittings for water hose (not plate chiller like a blichmann or something like that) an actual brewery style heat exchanger
- (Optional) Stainless steel table to house the system."

When asked about price point, they responded: "Pricing I am not sure on still have one last piece of the puzzle to get worked out then will have a better idea of the price." Given the fact their 240v 30a controller is extremely competitive on pricing (and beautifully made) , I sure hope they fall within a reasonable price point. Especially after the huge SSbt "wait and see" disappointment.

As for Whirlpool, they responded: "We have made those inlets on the side of the pot tangential so as the liquid comes in it automatically whirlpools the wort for you without any additional attachments"

Sold..... Take my Money

I had almost the same email exchange with Rex. Got me very excited about the whole system. Finally feels like a system that doesn't compromise in any way.

I also finished with Rex by letting him know that I'm ready to give him money as soon as he will take it from me!

Ive been debating on a 3v eBrew setup to replace my 3v propane strictly on the basis of having a fixed home for brewing in my garage instead of moving and cleaning all the time in my backyard. The more and more I look at BIAB the simplicity of 1 vessel really starts to show it's advantages. For en eBIAB setup this looks awesome and gets me to TC and electric. Takes up far less space and gives me temp automation.

This could be it.

Definitely stoked to see their pricing. I'm not making any moves until then. They told me the kettle and basket will be available separately as well although I don't know if that will be right away or further down the road. I just bought a CUBE from Auber and I really love its design, but now I'm wondering if I should have held off and just bought the whole damn setup from Grounded.....

Damn now it's High Gravity and these guys...thought I had my mind made up. On the basket, do you know if it's a typical basket or like a 400 micron basket to replace the bag?

Damn now it's High Gravity and these guys...thought I had my mind made up. On the basket, do you know if it's a typical basket or like a 400 micron basket to replace the bag?

Not sure what type of basket they are offering, but I presume it’ll be like a CH or Utah biodiesel 400 micron mesh basket? They didn’t mention anything about a hop-spider though.

Also, forgot to mention, when they say “pre-order” didn’t know if that was direct from their website, or if they are going the Kickstarter/crowdfunding route first. When asked, they responded: “Yes the pre orders will be directly through the site and should be shipping out at the 4 week point that is allotted for the panel build. I am not for seeing any delays at this point”

Now the waiting game begins... patiently eagerly excited!!

Sold..... Take my Money

I don't see how you can evaluate the value of what they have for sale without knowing the price.

th

The Grounded setup looks amazing....but I have to go another direction.
Keep us in the loop as things progress!

I don't see how you can evaluate the value of what they have for sale without knowing the price.

th
Hearkening back to the pricepoint on their 240v controller, and given the details alluded to on that panel, its a very competitive price. Plus they are still offering an additional 10% off coupon code. Fact of the matter is, I couldn’t imagine their setup being priced any higher then HG, BB, blichmann, or Ssbt. Probably more in line with the Unibrau 240v. But without a set price announced yet, it’s all conjecture.

Maybe you can turn them on a horizontal axis? Dunno but I sure like how they work either way.

A few more details from emails with Rex. Sounds promising, but obviously depends on price!

They’re hoping to finalize design within one to two weeks at which point pricing and preorders would go live. Planned fulfillment starting early September.

The basket will be 300 micron mesh, no additional bag required.

The optional stainless steel table to house the system will be 48” wide by 24” deep.

Two different wort chiller add-on options.

- (Optional more expensive) Small plate heat exchanger with TC connections for wort, and GHT fittings for water hose (not plate chiller like a blichmann or something like that) an actual brewery style heat exchanger.
- (Optional less expensive) new style tubular counterflow heat exchanger.

A few more details from emails with Rex. Sounds promising, but obviously depends on price!

They’re hoping to finalize design within one to two weeks at which point pricing and preorders would go live. Planned fulfillment starting early September.

The basket will be 300 micron mesh, no additional bag required.

The optional stainless steel table to house the system will be 48” wide by 24” deep.

Two different wort chiller add-on options.

- (Optional more expensive) Small plate heat exchanger with TC connections for wort, and GHT fittings for water hose (not plate chiller like a blichmann or something like that) an actual brewery style heat exchanger.
- (Optional less expensive) new style tubular counterflow heat exchanger.

If the final product ends up being as awesome as it sounds, the price matters less to me. Within reason, of course... but the more details Rex is sharing, the more it sounds like he's putting together a kit that checks the boxes of MANY folks here, who have done an awesome job of building their own great rigs, and may have considered buying turn-key if it had been available.

Barring a wildly high price (which, given the prices of his control boxes, seems unlikely) he's got my business.

For how fairly their BIAB controller is priced, and considering prices that some other suppliers have come to market with similar systems (think Clawhammer Supply, except 120v), I could see this kit coming in comfortably under $1,000. That's without things like the optional SS table, the stand for the controller, and similar add-ons. I like how the chiller is optional as well, considering you can save there if you already have one. Maybe the same could be said for the pump.

For how fairly their BIAB controller is priced, and considering prices that some other suppliers have come to market with similar systems (think Clawhammer Supply, except 120v), I could see this kit coming in comfortably under $1,000. That's without things like the optional SS table, the stand for the controller, and similar add-ons. I like how the chiller is optional as well, considering you can save there if you already have one. Maybe the same could be said for the pump.
Isn't the controller alone 475? A kettle with TC fittings and stainless mesh filter probably 300 to 400. Pump and boil coil another 300+. So it's probably a couple hundred more then the high gravity config. But I do like the stainless mesh filter but not sure on the tc fittings. Like to the see the sticker on it when they release it. Hey the more choices we have the better. They do have pretty looking controllers.

I was thinking somewhere around $1,200 or less would be very competitive for the base kit considering what all it will include.

Pricing for the chilling solutions and table wouldn’t impact the value of the base kit as they are add-ons and other means for chilling and placement are up to the end user.

I think this is going to make for some tough decisions for me. From what I've seen, it seems like this is going to be a good value, well-designed system for the $$. On the other hand, it seems like I'm mainly doing 4 gallon batches lately (fermenting in corny kegs), and I'm not sure that a 15 gallon 240V kettle would be ideal for that batch size. Aside from the cost of installing a 240V outlet somewhere, the 240V power requirement would also limit me to only being able to use the system in whichever location the outlet is installed. The 2x1600W element configuration that the Unibrau V2 system had seemed like it would be more flexible and perfect power-wise for a 5G or under batch size, but I'm not as big a fan of the V3 having the "upgrade kit" which moves the temp probe to a T in the return line, losing the boil detection capabilities of the controllers. And those system just seem overpriced compared to others. Decisions decisions...

...The 2x1600W element configuration that the Unibrau V2 system had seemed like it would be more flexible and perfect power-wise for a 5G or under batch size, but I'm not as big a fan of the V3 having the "upgrade kit" which moves the temp probe to a T in the return line, losing the boil detection capabilities of the controllers...

Have you considered the Unibrau V3 with a single element and using a stove to supplement additional heating when you need to boil? I would think a 1600W element should be fine for the mash. I was strongly considering that route so I could brew inside.

I was hoping to find a solution that would allow me to switch between 120V and 240V brewing but never found one. I ultimately decided to pick 240V since it would be faster and I could brewing outside to keep the wife happy.

The one thing I really, really like about Unibrau V3 is how the basket and kettle fit together. I like how the recirc port is in the basket side and not the lid. That way you can take the lid off and stir or whatever without worrying about the recirc spraying everywhere. And when you lift the kettle to drain, you can continue to recirc or sparge without messing around with hoses. If Unibrau had a 15 gallon version of their kettle and basket, I'd buy that in a heartbeat. The Grounded kettle, though, looks like it could be the best option for 15 gallon eBIAB. I just hope the recirc port isn't in the lid. That would be a bummer.

I also hope they have an option to buy just the kettle and basket since I have a pump, chiller and controller.

Have you considered the Unibrau V3 with a single element and using a stove to supplement additional heating when you need to boil? I would think a 1600W element should be fine for the mash. I was strongly considering that route so I could brew inside.

I was hoping to find a solution that would allow me to switch between 120V and 240V brewing but never found one. I ultimately decided to pick 240V since it would be faster and I could brewing outside to keep the wife happy.

The one thing I really, really like about Unibrau V3 is how the basket and kettle fit together. I like how the recirc port is in the basket side and not the lid. That way you can take the lid off and stir or whatever without worrying about the recirc spraying everywhere. And when you lift the kettle to drain, you can continue to recirc or sparge without messing around with hoses. If Unibrau had a 15 gallon version of their kettle and basket, I'd buy that in a heartbeat. The Grounded kettle, though, looks like it could be the best option for 15 gallon eBIAB. I just hope the recirc port isn't in the lid. That would be a bummer.

I also hope they have an option to buy just the kettle and basket since I have a pump, chiller and controller.

Yeah, I see a lot of the same positives in the Unibrau configuration for a 10 gallon size kettle. The mash basket seems to be well thought-out and gives extra flexibility over competing offerings from Clawhammer, High Gravity, etc. The primary reason that I'm still considering a 15 gallon kettle BIAB system would be for the few times that I want a full 5-6 gallons of high-ish gravity beer that I wouldn't be able to fit a full volume mash in a 10 gallon kettle. With the Unibrau, it seems adding a sparge step would be pretty easy with the way they designed the basket, that it probably would be a non-issue.

The stovetop might be a nice work around for a bit of extra oomph, but I wonder would you have to worry about melting the wire or any plastic parts of the element or temp probe connections?

I guess I'm assuming the recirc port on the Grounded system will be in the lid, although I can see your point about potential drawbacks of that setup. If its in the side of the kettle, doesn't that make it tricky fitting the basket in though, and possibly reduce the size of the basket? It seems there's trade-offs to both, unless using something like the Unibrau basket design.

Yeah, I see a lot of the same positives in the Unibrau configuration for a 10 gallon size kettle. The mash basket seems to be well thought-out and gives extra flexibility over competing offerings from Clawhammer, High Gravity, etc. The primary reason that I'm still considering a 15 gallon kettle BIAB system would be for the few times that I want a full 5-6 gallons of high-ish gravity beer that I wouldn't be able to fit a full volume mash in a 10 gallon kettle. With the Unibrau, it seems adding a sparge step would be pretty easy with the way they designed the basket, that it probably would be a non-issue.

The stovetop might be a nice work around for a bit of extra oomph, but I wonder would you have to worry about melting the wire or any plastic parts of the element or temp probe connections?

I guess I'm assuming the recirc port on the Grounded system will be in the lid, although I can see your point about potential drawbacks of that setup. If its in the side of the kettle, doesn't that make it tricky fitting the basket in though, and possibly reduce the size of the basket? It seems there's trade-offs to both, unless using something like the Unibrau basket design.

In a comment on the Instagram pic of the GBT kettle, Rex confirms that the upper tangental port is used for recirc, not a lid-mount.

In a comment on the Instagram pic of the GBT kettle, Rex confirms that the upper tangental port is used for recirc, not a lid-mount.
Nice. I really don't see why couldn't move the High Gravity recirc port especially if you are going to add a whirlpool arm anyway. I'm ready to see what this ends up being price and product specifics wise.

In a comment on the Instagram pic of the GBT kettle, Rex confirms that the upper tangental port is used for recirc, not a lid-mount

I wonder how that upper port will work with the basket.
Will the basket attach to that port so the recirc wort goes back into the basket?
Or will the upper port just create a whirlpool effect during the mash to move the wort around?
Or will there be some attachment like an inverted "U" that lifts the recirc wort over the top of the basket?

I wonder how that upper port will work with the basket.
Will the basket attach to that port so the recirc wort goes back into the basket?
Or will the upper port just create a whirlpool effect during the mash to move the wort around?
Or will there be some attachment like an inverted "U" that lifts the recirc wort over the top of the basket?
Loc-line maybe?

Loc-line maybe?

I asked them on IG and they said the recirculated wort will push into the side of the basket.

They also said there is a little less than 2" between the top of the basket and the top of the kettle so maybe you could rig up a return that carries it over the top and then use a loc-line if you want the recirculation more dispersed. I don't know what the interior of the kettle looks like. Do tangential ports normally have threading on the inside of the kettle?

I asked them on IG and they said the recirculated wort will push into the side of the basket.

They also said there is a little less than 2" between the top of the basket and the top of the kettle so maybe you could rig up a return that carries it over the top and then use a loc-line if you want the recirculation more dispersed. I don't know what the interior of the kettle looks like. Do tangential ports normally have threading on the inside of the kettle?

Probably nothing on the inside of the kettle, just a hole.

You could use a TC tube fitting between the kettle TC and the butterfly valve if you wanted to connect a LocLine or other sparge dispersion device.

https://www.norcalbrewingsolutions.com/store/Tri-Clover-Compression-Tube-1.5-Inch-x-1.5-Inch.html

Had some emails with Rex over the weekend, and they have pricing finalized:

“So what we are going to do is the kit with everything as followed with be priced at $1,800.00. Then we will be doing the optional upgrade of the tube heat exchanger for $1,950. The gasket style heat exchanger will be an optional purchase at a later date through our site as well.
- 300 Micron Basket
- 15 gallon all TC kettle
- Pump with TC adapters
- All TC fittings (12 gaskets, 12 clamps, 12 TC to 1/2” hose barbs, hose clamps)
- 12’ Silicone tubing
- 30a 1 element eBIAB control panel
- TC temp probe
- TC Tee fitting for temp probe while recirculating the mash
- 5500 watt TC element with 6’ power cord and L6-30 twist lock connectors

The optional controller table top mount will run $30.

The optional 48” stainless table will run $175.”

In a previous email, he spoke about the heat exchanger: “There is going to be a delay though on the (Optional) gasket style heat exchanger as we are having a bit of trouble with the supplier, but have a new tubular style heat exchanger that will be included in the kit.”

$1,800.00 base is definitely more then I budgeted. Especially without a chiller. Thought for sure they’d be closer to the $1,250.00-$1,500.00 mark. Then again, it looks to be top tier equipment. I Still have a lot of questions on the specifics, and hopefully we’ll be seeing some pics very soon. Still strongly considering pulling the trigger.....

Last edited:
Had some emails with Rex over the weekend, and they have pricing finalized:

“So what we are going to do is the kit with everything as followed with be priced at $1,800.00. Then we will be doing the optional upgrade of the tube heat exchanger for $1,950. The gasket style heat exchanger will be an optional purchase at a later date through our site as well.
- 300 Micron Basket
- 15 gallon all TC kettle
- Pump with TC adapters
- All TC fittings (12 gaskets, 12 clamps, 12 TC to 1/2” hose barbs, hose clamps)
- 12’ Silicone tubing
- 30a 1 element eBIAB control panel
- TC temp probe
- TC Tee fitting for temp probe while recirculating the mash
- 5500 watt TC element with 6’ power cord and L6-30 twist lock connectors

The optional controller table top mount will run $30.

The optional 48” stainless table will run $175.”

In a previous email, he spoke about the heat exchanger: “There is going to be a delay though on the (Optional) gasket style heat exchanger as we are having a bit of trouble with the supplier, but have a new tubular style heat exchanger that will be included in the kit.”

$1,800.00 base is definitely more then I budgeted. Especially without a chiller. Thought for sure they’d be closer to the $1,250.00-$1,500.00 mark. Then again, it looks to be top tier equipment. I Still have a lot of questions on the specifics, and hopefully we’ll be seeing some pics very soon. Still strongly considering pulling the trigger.....

Math Time:

$475.99 - BIAB Panel - Grounded's Price
$350.00 - Kettle - Assuming 2x tangential in, all TC... sure
$200.00 - Basket - Rough amount from comparison to Utah BD
$200.00 - 4x Valves Butterfly - Brewers Hardware
$ 66.00 - 12x Clamps - Brewers Hardware
$ 12.00 - 12x Gaskets - Brewers Hardware
$120.00 - 12x Barb to TC Fittings - Brewers Hardware
$ 32.00 - TC Temp Fitting - Brewers Hardware
$ 32.00 - 12' Silicon - MoreBeer
$109.00 - 5500w TC Element - eBrew Supply
$ ???.00 - Pump of some sort

WITHOUT pump this is $1677, depending on pump $1800 seems pretty reasonable. Like its been said, this appears to be top tier equip, can some things be priced out cheaper? Sure, but this is one click and it's great looking thus far.

Like it's been said, pending specifics, pump, other info it seems like a reasonable value to me.

*****Math Time is sponsored by beer and beer math can be wrong. Amount pulled from the fastest googled website containing the term and pertaining to brewing with some "I've shopped there before" favoritism, yes i'm sure some items can be found cheaper, extreme accuracy was not guaranteed but for beer math, it's close enough.

Math Time:

$475.99 - BIAB Panel - Grounded's Price
$350.00 - Kettle - Assuming 2x tangential in, all TC... sure
$200.00 - Basket - Rough amount from comparison to Utah BD
$200.00 - 4x Valves Butterfly - Brewers Hardware
$ 66.00 - 12x Clamps - Brewers Hardware
$ 12.00 - 12x Gaskets - Brewers Hardware
$120.00 - 12x Barb to TC Fittings - Brewers Hardware
$ 32.00 - TC Temp Fitting - Brewers Hardware
$ 32.00 - 12' Silicon - MoreBeer
$109.00 - 5500w TC Element - eBrew Supply
$ ???.00 - Pump of some sort

WITHOUT pump this is $1677, depending on pump $1800 seems pretty reasonable. Like its been said, this appears to be top tier equip, can some things be priced out cheaper? Sure, but this is one click and it's great looking thus far.

Like it's been said, pending specifics, pump, other info it seems like a reasonable value to me.

*****Math Time is sponsored by beer and beer math can be wrong. Amount pulled from the fastest googled website containing the term and pertaining to brewing with some "I've shopped there before" favoritism, yes i'm sure some items can be found cheaper, extreme accuracy was not guaranteed but for beer math, it's close enough.

Pretty much agree. Is it higher than I was hoping, yeah... But 1 click, no hunting down and ordering components at the lowest price, makings sure it all fits together. All TC and butterfly valve.

I was thinking $2k is where I start to reconsider the BrewEasy. $1800 is under that, so I'm probably going to do it.

Back