Grifo PIPMO applle scratter, appe crusher: any thoughts?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kees

Reaction score
I have a manual version (from ebay which is probably an el-cheapo copy at $AUD 120). I find that the crushed pieces aren't small enough to get an efficient juice yield so I have to do the "smash in a bucket" trick before pressing. Generally the pomace from my crusher is 1/4" to 1/2" pieces, whereas Jollicoeur suggests 1/8" (3mm) as the ideal size for pressing. I also find that quartered apples work better than whole apples.

Mind you, from your photo, the grinding teeth look a bit closer together than mine so it might produce better results. As I discussed in another post, my plan is to make a DIY scatter along the lines of Jollicoeur's design for next Fall.

Thanks for your reply.
In the link below you see a Grifo in action. What do you think of the crushed pieces?

Last edited:
Yep, the crushed pieces look much the same as mine, perhaps with a few more smaller pieces. I expect that might be as a result of being motorised whereas mine is "crank the handle".

It should work O.K. but I have seen apples pulped to about 1/8" pieces elsewhere and this results in a more sloppy pommace which then gives a higher yield. I did find that smashing my big pieces in a bucket gave me a sloppier pommace but I am not sure that the extra effort was worth the slight increase in yield.

I tend to only crush enough apples for a couple of gallons at a time so a super efficient crusher isn't all that important, nevertheless I am still looking at making a DIY Jolicoeur type scratter.

I should have mentioned what I meant by yield. I get around 4 litres of juice (4kg)from 10Kg of apples which is only 40%. So I need to crush 12+ Kg in order to get five litres (a gallon) plus a bit for head space top up after transferring to secondary.

I understand that an efficient scratter should be able to produce a small enough pomace (3mm or 1/8") to yield 50-60% juice. As long s I am prepared to keep winding the handle and screwing the press, I will eventually end up with enough juice... but it would be nice to get there with 20% less effort!

Back