Grey colored malt = old?? First time problem, dumped mash due to total stuck runoff

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rev2010

Reaction score
So I've been brewing something like 8.5 years. I've made pumpkin ales without ricehulls early on so I'm totally familiar with a stuck or slow runoff/sparge, but with those it was always just a very slow runoff. This was 99% stuck with a dribble. I was doing a beer with 8.5lbs Franco-Belges Vienna malt as the base malt. Only had 2.5lbs of other malt - Briess crystal and smoked malt. I immediately noticed when I received the package from NB that the Franco-Belges Vienna Malt looked noticeably grey. Today I observed it out of the bag and yeah it was very grey and kicked up way more grain dust then other malts usually do. I also noticed when milling the grain the drill worked harder, a little bit like when milling wheat but not that hard. Anyhow, after the hour mash the runoff stuck very shortly after starting the drain to vorlauf. Kept trying, stirred it up again a few times, blew back into the tubing etc. Each time it would run shortly then come to a complete dribble. Would've taken many hours to drain at that rate. So I transfered the mash from my Ss Mash Tun (which I love and haven't had any issues with) to my previous rubbermaid tun with bazooka tube. Same thing happened! Eventually my friend and I had to give up and dump the mash. He also noted that when stirring and scraping along the bottom where the bazooka tube is that it was cementing up.

Looking at NB's site their pic of the malt looks like other heatlthy malts that are golden colored. I took some pics but they don't really show the grey as much as in person but they are below. I'm going to contact NB and see if perhaps they will reimburse for the lost malts, luckily the expensive stuff like the hops and yeast weren't used so if they don't not a major loss.

Long story now over - does grey colored malt typically indicate old dried out malt that when milled can lead to a cementing like affect in the mash? Like I said, this was way worse than even having a few pounds of Libby's Pumpkin in the mash!

Rev.
20190622_145017.jpg
20190622_163658.jpg

I don't think I have ever used barley that looked like that, it makes me think of mold or mildew. Probably doesn't explain the lautering issue, but had I noticed that odd color I wouldn't have milled it...

Cheers!

Looks old and dried out, can’t explain the grayness you speak of. Hopefully the pics you have will help with getting your cash back. Sorry to hear about a wasted brewday.

That kinda looks like rye malt. Anyone else think so?

Would explain the stuck mash. Seriously thinking they sent you rye instead of the franco belge Vienna.

Yup, I was gonna say the same. Looks like rye to me. I've seen very old barley and have never seen it like that.

That kinda looks like rye malt. Anyone else think so?

Would explain the stuck mash. Seriously thinking they sent you rye instead of the franco belge Vienna.

Duuudes, you guys are so right! I just looked up rye (never brewed with it before) and the pic on Morebeer looks exactly like what I received!

https://www.morebeer.com/products/briess-rye-malt.html

Is rye really that gummy in the mash?

Rev.

I'm a grain farmer. That ain't barley. As a couple others have commented that looks like rye to me. Did you notice the distinctive smell of rye when milling?

Thanks man! Definitely seems I got rye by accident. Like mentioned I've never brewed with rye before. I didn't notice a difference in smell but that is likely because I had a pound and a half of Briess Cherrywood Smoked malt mixed in with it. My friend and I mostly noticed the smokey smell. I tasted some of the malt though and noticed it was nice to chew as it didn't appear to have a husk like barley when chewed. Seems y'all solved the issue for me. I will call NB Monday to discuss a credit for the lost grains. Thanks again everyone for your help with this!

Rev.

Called into NorthernBrewer, they are replacing all the lost malts and apologized for the mistake . Very happy they were so nice and easy to work with correcting this.

Rev.

Too bad about the original eff-up, but good on NB for owning up and making things right (aside from the lost effort).
Also, having never brewed anything using rye, very informative, considering I'd have tossed any grain that looked like that :D

Cheers!

Give rye another try! Probably not so much as the Franco Belge Vienna would have been in your recipe. I love a rye beer. Denny's Rye Smile IPA is a great beer. And if in doubt, use some rice hulls for drainage.

Back