Greetings from AZ

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BennyN

Reaction score
Hello everyone. I stumbled upon this site while researching my first batch of home brewed beer (heffe). Thanks to everything I've read on this board, it's going off without a hitch, so I decided to sign up.

I've always been a huge fan of beer brewed with love and local breweries. Next step, of course, was to brew my own! Thanks in advance for all the help.

Welcome to the forums from another AZer! there is soo much info on here your head will spin, congrats on your first brew, whats your next brew gonna be?

Thanks! I'm going to do a Sierra Nevada clone. I got the recipe from Brewers Connection in Tempe, but I'm open to suggestions. I love a good pale ale and the great Northwest has my favorites.

Thanks! I'm going to do a Sierra Nevada clone. I got the recipe from Brewers Connection in Tempe, but I'm open to suggestions. I love a good pale ale and the great Northwest has my favorites.

Wish I was in AZ! Its freaking cold here!

The Sierra Nevada recipe from clone brews is very good. I brewed it about 10 times before I started all grain. Let me know if you want it and I'll post it on here.

Regards,
Alan

That would be great. Thanks. And don't worry, us AZ'ers willbe jealous enough this summer when it hit 110-degrees!

don't forget about us AZ'er up north!!!!

Tacoma.jpg

I actually miss the desert heat. Call me crazy. I will always miss the AZ desert, no matter where I am in the world. Born in Tucson, but haven't lived in AZ since 93.

Welcome and good luck with your first brew!

feel free to ask any questions you have on your brewing if you cannot readily find the answers, there are many helpful folks here who are happy to help or at least lend some sarcasm to the mix!

Here's the Sierra clone recipe, brewed it many times with DME and it is always good if you watch your fermentation procedures.

4 oz. 60L Crystal malt
6.5 lbs light DME
.5 lbs malto dextrin
1 oz Nugget 8.5% AA (bittering) 60 minute
.5 oz Perle (flavor) 15 minute
1 tsp irish moss 15 min
1 oz Cascade (Aroma) 1 minute

Wyeast 1056 American Ale

Dryhop in secondary with .5 oz of Cascade. (I used 1 oz)

* Crush and steep crystal in 1/2 gallon of 150 F water for 20 minutes. Strain the grain water from your brew pot. Sparge the grains with 1/2 gallon of 150 F water. Add water to the brew pot for 1.5 gallons total volume. Bring to boil, remove pot from stove and add: DME, malto dextrin, & bittering hop. Add water until total volume is 2.5 gallons. Boil for 45 minutes and then add flavor hop and Irish moss. Boil for 14 minutes and then add aroma hop. Boil for one minute and then remove from heat and cool as quickly as possible. Strain into fermenter and add cold water to obtain 5 gallons. When wort is under 80 F pitch your yeast. (I think this is nuts, get it under 70 F and keep it there) Ferment to completion, siphon to secondary and dryhop w/ Cascade. Bottle when fermentation is complete priming with 1 & 1/4 cup extra light DME. (I'd use the corn sugar if I were you. It ferments out better and quicker and you cannot tell the difference. Only brew I ever primed w/ DME did not carb up properly. Everyone w/ corn sugar was right on.

OG will be ~1.057 and FG will be around 1.012 & roughly 5.5 ABV

Enjoy
Alan

I can't forget. NAU alum baby! Lived in Flaggy for two years. I still think Flag Brew has the best beers in AZ. Macy's the best coffee.

same here! Lumberjack '99 :mug:

FBC does have some good beers - and Oak Creek Nut Brown is my favorite commercial brown.

Going to beer fest in June?

same here! Lumberjack '99 :mug:

FBC does have some good beers - and Oak Creek Nut Brown is my favorite commercial brown.

Going to beer fest in June?

I hope I'm going. I l always ended up leaving for the summer when I lived there so I never had a chance to check it out.

Back