Greenish color after racking.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pudland

Reaction score
Hi All,

So this is my second batch I have going.
The "German Style Dark" True Brew kit seemed to go well.

This batch is a "Pale Ale - All Malt" True Brew kit.
After racking to the secondary I noticed a greenish tint throughout the beer. Kind of looks like suspended air bubbles also. I am also getting airlock activity. I cant tell you time between bubbles. I note the air bubble position in the airlock(S-type) and see if it changed the next time I walk through my pantry.
All equipment that touched the beer had been sanitized. I am very thorough about that.

I'm thinking I may cold crash it after day 5 in the secondary. Cold crashing worked well for my first batch. Settled in 2 days.

I've attached my brew log to this point and some pictures.

I appreciate any feedback.

Thanks!
Adam

EDIT: I have NO IDEA why the pics are rotated 90 deg!!! They dont show up like that on my computer! Sorry!

20141029_200533.jpg

20141029_200616.jpg

20141029_200243.jpg

20141029_200229.jpg

20141029_200215.jpg

20141029_200201.jpg

20141029_200021.jpg

Looks like you stirred up some hop particulate with the trub. I bet it settles to the bottom soon enough.

No worries. I agree with Jon- looks like hop/trub particles. Not noticeable in your 1st because..... it was a dark.
It will settle out clear, and yes cold crashing will help.

Thanks for the replies!
One of the steps I forgot in both batches was to filter while transferring to the primary. I had planned on doing it during transfer to the secondary, but I forgot again!
I guess I didn't expect so much to get stirred in because I left an inch of wort on the bottom of the primary when I racked. I didn't bother to check gravity when I transfered to the secondary do to my initial estimate of 5%. I figured any more activity means the % gets better!
I think I'll cold crash at day 5.
I like good notes! Makes for better repeatability!
Adam

UPDATE:
I didn't wait till day 5. I put it in the fridge to cold crash today, day 4 in the secondary. My fridge is hanging at 48F right now.

UPDATE:
Well.... the "green" is still there...
I opened the fridge door and wathced the airlock for a minute and I could see the air bubble moving. The color and "consistency" just looks odd to me.

Just thought of something. ..
I didn't let the star-san totally dry in the secondary before transfering. I let it drain for an hour or 2. There was liquid sanitizer in the carnoy. Could residual sanitizer cause the beer to do this also?

Starsan is a no rinse, no dry sanitizer. You can drain right before racking and if the carboy/bucket is full of foam that is OK too.

"Don't fear the foam"

Your beer looks fine, Cheers!

If you actually have a problem, the sanitizer would not have caused it. I always move my wort into star-san wet fermenters. Most people do. What does the beer look like in the glass or thief? It's hard to judge the color while in the fermenter.

Thanks for the info! The first batch I made was so dark it didn't look "greenish".
I try not to handle the beer alot. I can pull a sample and take another pic.
Thats a good idea actually!
It'll be an hour till I can do it though.

Here are the pics of the sample. I tasted it also and it does seem on the hoppy side to me. Fridge is hanging around 43F.
Thanks!

1414961997925.jpg

1414962011151.jpg

1414962020929.jpg

1414962032450.jpg

In the second pic at the top and the 3rd pic to the left.
Am I just being paranoid?? Not to discount the numerous fine people in previous posts that told me it is fine. I get wierd when it comes to food. I had a bad experience when I was younger with bad food.
Thanks!

UPDATE:

Hello again!
On 11/5 I followed instructions on using Gelatin for fining and stirred it in.
This past Saturday I brewed a Bavarian Dark Lager and checked the Pale Ale.
The fridge is holding around 32*-36*. I noticed more "stuff" had fallen out of suspension into "clumps". I guess I expected to have a clear beer by now. Not that a haze will bother me. I havn't tasted it since my post on the 2nd.
I believe I will be kegging it tonight, hit it with some CO2, and let it go for another 2 weeks before the next tasting.

I'll post my thoughts then.

Cheers!
Adam

Here are some pics of a sample I pulled while kegging. BIG difference after the gelatin! Paranoia has settled now! Hit it with 10 psi. Now it's time to forget about it for a week or two.

1415791595524.jpg

1415791608231.jpg

Update.... kicked the keg of this Pale Ale last night while brewing a Holiday beer with my siblings. My brother, who's a Lord Chesterfield drinker, likened it somewhat to that. I guess that means success! Thanks for all the replies and help!

Back