green bottles??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jjotmo

Reaction score
I have been saving woodchuck bottles to reuse later. Are green bottles ok to use? I don't want skunky beer or cider.

As long as you keep the filled bottles in the dark or covered it will be fine. I routinely use green bottles for lagers and such.

Ciders won't skunk...they don't have hops in them. Skunking stems from a chemical reaction between hop compounds in beer and sunlight....No hops/no skunk worries.

I mostly save clear and green bottles for ciders.

I never had a problem, as Hammy and revvy have said they will be fine. when I bottle I store my booze in either the basement in beer case boxes or in the dark fridge. Mostly I keg so no problem there.

Never had an issue using non-brown bottles.

I love using grolsch flip top bottles for bottling beer.

When I started brewing I threw away so many clear/green beer bottles because I went on the advice of "experts" saying non-brown bottles would lead to oxidation and skunking, bunch of crap as long as the booze is stored somewhere dark and cool.

Good to know about cider. I guess I should start saving the corona bottles my wife always drinks for my cider. Definately better than buying more bottles.

Michigan. I need to go to a party store and see if I can buy empties since there is a .10 deposited here.

Back