"Green" Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Taper123

Reaction score
Drinking a "green" beer now... after six days in the bottle, I could'nt wait any longer. Needs more carbonation so will let them set at least another week or three or six. The impatience of a new brewer and their first batch...

On the bright side... green beer has to provide more active stuff than any yogurt ever could... so it's sort of like health food.

I couldn't wait either on my first or second - after tasting it a month or two out, I now wait knowing that the ok beer I can have at a week after bottling will be good in three weeks, and pretty awesome at six or more.

How did it come out?

Drinking green beer can give you insites to future beer. What flavor and aromas are coming out now that you might like but is not there later and so forth.

Green beer is information.

It doesn't get easier.

I always drink 1 at the 1 week mark, 1 at the 2 week mark, etc.

Whenever it starts tasting good, I consume it at will. It never fails that the second half of the batch always tastes better because it has aged a little.;)

Best thing about green beer is that you can give it to the son-in-law you don't like that drinks all your beer. The SOB vowed to never drink another one:D Sweet revenge:mug:

Don't sweat it, many of us have drank a green beer. The key is to brew enough that you have a sufficient supply coming down the pipe that you don't NEED to drink that green beer.

The flavor was good, and the fact that it had some bubbling action tells me the carbonation process is working.

Have two primary buckets going right now. One with a German Wheat, and the other with an English Bitter. FIgure I'll rack one of them to the secondary this weekend... and leave the other in the bucket. Any suggestions as to which one would benefit the most from going to a secondary? (only have one carboy, but two primary buckets). I'm keeping the fermentation temp at 68 degrees.

Thinking of a Porter for the next one... brew and bottle it and let it sit until it gets cold outside. Being in Texas... that might be a while.

Back