Scope and coverage of the term "conditioning green beer"

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

perfection

Reaction score
Is every post primary fermentation beer production operation until (but excluding) yeast harvesting casking/canning/bottling included in the term conditioning ?

I have seen write ups say that only carbonation of beer (artificially with a stone or naturally with yeast at any point or both) is conditioning.....

Is the word (possibly) used differently by brewers on both sides of the Atlantic?

If i had to ask more specifically whether the following tasks are part of conditioning activities

1 flavour development
2 allowing the beer to fall bright in secondary tanks with or without fining aids (yeast flocculation that would otherwise result in biological haze)
3 fining to reduce protein haze
4 addition of elements to improve mouth feel or the beer (foam) head
5 minimizing Dissolve O2 or adding anti oxidants to reduce the level of O2
6 sterile and particulate filtration (depth - powder or sheet and surface (membrane))
7 pasteurization of beer before or in its final container

Just one last question: In general. if sterile filtration is practiced are the beers ALSO pasteurized ?

My take:
1- I ferment in primary for 3 or so weeks. As soon as the beer reaches FG which could be 3 days (Kveik) or 12 days (Lager) it is conditioning.
2- The only time I use a secondary fermenter is when fruit is involved. I dry hop in primary.
3- I then keg and put in a lagerator at 33* under CO2.
Most of my beers change a little over the 3-5 months they're on tap so I believe it's conditioning the entire time after FG is reached until keg kick.

And don't know about the pasteurized thing but I will say all my beers go past your eyes.

Since many of us here are hobbyist's at beer making and haven't gone to a university for a formal education on beer making, you'll probably find a wide variation on all of what you ask.

As for pasteurization, that is something that I'd say only the big commercial brewers might do and some of the smaller commercial brewers. It's my understanding that the equipment, process and the needed controls are too stringent for a home brewer. Especially considering the shorter time our beers might be stored. It's not just heating beer to a temperature as without other constraints you lose flavor.

However things might change one day.

There is s process used by some cider makers whereby you let bottled cider (or beer) steep in heated water to Pasteurize.

Most people don’t do it, but if you wanted to experiment, it is relatively easy. In ciders it is also sometimes used to stop fermentation at a certain point to ensure a desired level of retained sweetness.

Back