Green beer taste?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JD1999

Reaction score
So I bottled my first batch last night! I of course tasted some before putting it in the bottles. I don't know what green beer should taste like. I did an amber for my first batch. Can anyone describe what tastes I should be looking for? It tasted a bit bitter if that makes sense. I'm guessing it will sweeten out as the carbonation sets in and it ages? Anyone have any ideas? Also, I have left over beer that I put into my carboy, it has been mixed with the priming sugar, but I will eventually bottle it. How long can I keep it in the carboy and do I need to add more priming sugar once I bottle it?

Can i ask why you didn't just bottle it all? Also i am assuming the "leftover" isn't filling the carboy. Probably half or quarter full? Usually you don't want to do this (especially after adding priming sugar). And yes you will need more sugar as there is yeast still in the brew that will eat the sugar in the carboy.

As for the taste i am bad at describing it. I would not say bitter through.... Maybe cidery?

I didn't bottle it all because I ran out of bottles. So I guess that is a plus and a minus! I guess I get to start saving bottles!

You're going to need a lot of bottles. Better start drinking. It's easier to describe a beer that is not green. A mature beer usually has a cleaner taste. You taste the malt and the hops, but you don't taste much else. There's not a lot of fruitiness (except maybe citrus). Certain styles call for some of these off-flavors, like weizens and Belgians. You'll find that the off-flavors will mellow out after a few weeks.

Hmmm,let me take a stab at a description of green beer. The hops flavors are so young,they taste sorta bitter/funky. By that I mean you taste the bitterness level you boiled into it. But the flavor component fits the bitter taste more with some undefined herbal/earthy funk that you can't quite put your finger on.
It mixes with the young malt flavors that are yeasty/bready,with some maltiness starting to show through. All the flavors together seem to me to be muddled. An unrefined mixture that def needs aging to sort of seperate into balanced components that make the beer enjoyable to our -palettes. I hope this makes sense. It's tuff to describe what I taste in a way others might understand...

Gree, flat beer often tastes bitter, watery, weak, or harsh... can be described a multitude of other ways, too. Bottom line is that it often does not really resemble what carbed, aged beer tastes like.

No,it doesn't indeed. Just a muddled mish mosh of bitter,yeasty, bready,funkadelic fluid for the numbing of stressed neurons. :drunk::cross:

No,it doesn't indeed. Just a muddled mish mosh of bitter,yeasty, bready,funkadelic fluid for the numbing of stressed neurons. :drunk::cross:

Yep. I know that there is a contingent that pushes the idea of sampling your beer at every stage, but to me, this just makes the newbies worry needlessly... and wastes a lot of beer before it becomes good beer.

Ya,verilly. If you don't know what good tastes like at various stages,it's quite pointless to stress over a beers' current state. I wait till the 2 week mark to test-n-taste. That's where experience comes in or is made to start with. Less waste too. Just let the yeasties work their magic. They need no help from us other than a cozy temp.

The one word that i use to describe most green beer is 'sharp'

It is typically acetaldehyde

What kind of beer is this?

Latest posts

Back