Great Western Pure Idaho base malt experiences?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rtstrider

Reaction score
Has anyone used Pure Idaho Pilsen malt? I saw an email ad from Morebeer for this malt and was wanting to give it a shot. Was thinking about brewing something UBER simple but wanted to see if anyone else had experiences with this malt? Was looking at doing something like the following just to learn the malt. Figured 10 lbs meant no weighing the malt prior to milling and 1 oz Hallertau MF (really any low AA noble hop first wort addition)...Just dump it in without weighing lol SUPER simple. Ferment at 60F and that's pretty much it. Will be two weeks before I put in the next grain order though. But this would definitely be the next brew on the books so it'll be ready in time for Easter

Title: Pure Idaho Malt Helles

Brew Method: All Grain
Style Name: Munich Helles
Boil Time: 60 min
Batch Size: 5.5 gallons (fermentor volume)
Boil Size: 7 gallons
Boil Gravity: 1.038
Efficiency: 70% (brew house)

Hop Utilization Multiplier: 1

STATS:
Original Gravity: 1.048
Final Gravity: 1.008
ABV (standard): 5.2%
IBU (tinseth): 18.04
SRM (morey): 2.97
Mash pH: 5.9

FERMENTABLES:
10 lb - Pure Idaho Pilsen (100%)

HOPS:
1 oz - Hallertauer Mittelfrüher, Type: Pellet, AA: 4.25, Use: First Wort, IBU: 18.04

MASH GUIDELINES:
1) Strike, Temp: 154 F, Time: 60 min, Amount: 3.75 gal
Starting Mash Thickness: 1.5 qt/lb

YEAST:
Fermentis / Safale - Saflager - German Lager Yeast W-34/70

It's a great malt. Been using it for a few years now. It compares very favorably to German pilsner malts, including Barke, with a slightly toasty note in the finished beer. Less grassy than most.

It is my preferred malt for hop forward pils. It also makes a nice helles, although expect more character than something like Best/Weyermann.

It's a great malt. Been using it for a few years now. It compares very favorably to German pilsner malts, including Barke, with a slightly toasty note in the finished beer. Less grassy than most.

It is my preferred malt for hop forward pils. It also makes a nice helles, although expect more character than something like Best/Weyermann.

Well that settles it. Going to give it a shot!

Thanks for the post @rtstrider. I hadn't heard of this malt before. Sounds very interesting to me. I'm gonna brew a 100 % Idaho Pilsner and use a Czech Pilsner hop bill. This is right up my alley. I'll post recipe and results when finished.

I got the Morebeer email too. I was thinking about it but 5 lb quantity almost immediately went on backorder so I guess you weren't the only one thinking about it. All they have now is 1 lb or 55 lb

I got the Morebeer email too. I was thinking about it but 5 lb quantity almost immediately went on backorder so I guess you weren't the only one thinking about it. All they have now is 1 lb or 55 lb

I was able to put in a grain order including the Pure Idaho malt. I'll be brewing this with Omega Bayern yeast. I was wanting to use Harvest, but, Morebeer doesn't carry that. Per the cross reference Bayern is the Augustiner yeast so wanted to give that a shot as well. I have about 3 brew days or so lined up before this batch so it'll be a bit. I can't wait to give this a shot though!

Will be brewing this batch at the end of the week. Omega Bayern yeast has been built up and is sitting in the fridge. The left overs of the starter have been banked up and frozen. Plan on fermenting this around 53F for a week or so then stepping up to 68F very slowly over the next week.

Pitched the yeast about 45 min ago. The fermenter still has some cooling down to do overnight. Will most likely put a blow off in place in the morning. Fermenting at 52f with the Bayern yeast. Hoping this turns out well!

Attachments

• 2270ABEB-B0AF-4FA9-9735-EC7F8E6515B4.jpeg
    2270ABEB-B0AF-4FA9-9735-EC7F8E6515B4.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 11
Posted this over on “What I did for beer today” doing an all Idaho brew. Gotta feeling the Idaho hops might be a bit much but let er rip :)

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/threads/what-i-did-for-beer-today.294038/post-9257026

I have yet to keg this brew. I moved it to secondary about 3 weeks from brew day to free up the fermenter. It's cleared up very nicely at room temp in a carboy. It'll probably be another 2 weeks or so before this is kegged. I know...Room temp...Lager....Does not normally go together. I'm just trying something out here for giggles. May help may not. Either way it'll be beer ;)

Pulled a very tiny sample today. This is going to be way too enjoyable once it’s properly lagered! The Omega Bayern has dropped out of the way but it reminds me of a malty Helles. This is clean! This will be the test recipe for the German lager yeasts that have been banked in the freezer. It’s plain yet enjoyable. Essentially what a Helles should be pre lager.

This was kegged yesterday evening. The keg is filled to the brim but the room temp batch from secondary was absolutely crystal clear going in the keg. I'll probably pour off a pint tomorrow evening, to clear out some space in the keg, and fine with gelatin. Will be giving this around two weeks or so before the first "official" pour. Pics will be taken and I'll report back with tasting notes!

Mines been fermenting for about two days now and wow mom wow what a thermal ride it’s been. Pitched at 38c and set the heating pad to 34. It went to 42 a few times then hit 30 last night and is now sitting at 34.
Don’t worry, relax, drink a home brew.
The Idaho hops smelled great during the boil. SG at pitch was 1.054. Perfect.
Kveik, Pure Idaho with Idaho 7. Maybe add a potato starch to the mash next time ;)

Mines been fermenting for about two days now and wow mom wow what a thermal ride it’s been. Pitched at 38c and set the heating pad to 34. It went to 42 a few times then hit 30 last night and is now sitting at 34.
Don’t worry, relax, drink a home brew.
The Idaho hops smelled great during the boil. SG at pitch was 1.054. Perfect.
Kveik, Pure Idaho with Idaho 7. Maybe add a potato starch to the mash next time ;)

What Kveik strain did you use?

Pulled a sample of the brew today. It definitely needs more carbonation but this actually has character. I feel like using this malt, add a quarter of Heidelberg, and mash LOW for 90 min would make a great beer! Add a first wort charge of magnum and 15 minute charge of saaz with a Czech yeast and it’d make a decent attempt at a grolsch clone. That’s actually on the to do list now!

Threw an F1 party yesterday and we crushed the two week SMASH consisting of Pure Idaho and Cascade with coriander and orange peel.
Good stuff.
Looking forward to the batch with Idaho7 hops.

Just poured a pint and man this is GOOD!!!!! So simple yet so enjoyable! This tastes like I would expect a Pilsen malt to taste :)

Attachments

• 23D8C9F0-A62A-481C-BD69-75CDECF2371F.jpeg
    23D8C9F0-A62A-481C-BD69-75CDECF2371F.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 6
Tapped the Private Idaho this week and it's way to bitter. Think next time I'll not do a 60 min hop addition if only using Idaho7 or else pick something in the 3-5% AA range for the boil hop addition.
Still, pretty good beer just too hoppy.

Has anyone used Pure Idaho Pilsen malt? I saw an email ad from Morebeer for this malt and was wanting to give it a shot. Was thinking about brewing something UBER simple but wanted to see if anyone else had experiences with this malt? Was looking at doing something like the following just to learn the malt. Figured 10 lbs meant no weighing the malt prior to milling and 1 oz Hallertau MF (really any low AA noble hop first wort addition)...Just dump it in without weighing lol SUPER simple. Ferment at 60F and that's pretty much it. Will be two weeks before I put in the next grain order though. But this would definitely be the next brew on the books so it'll be ready in time for Easter

Title: Pure Idaho Malt Helles

Brew Method: All Grain
Style Name: Munich Helles
Boil Time: 60 min
Batch Size: 5.5 gallons (fermentor volume)
Boil Size: 7 gallons
Boil Gravity: 1.038
Efficiency: 70% (brew house)

Hop Utilization Multiplier: 1

STATS:
Original Gravity: 1.048
Final Gravity: 1.008
ABV (standard): 5.2%
IBU (tinseth): 18.04
SRM (morey): 2.97
Mash pH: 5.9

FERMENTABLES:
10 lb - Pure Idaho Pilsen (100%)

HOPS:
1 oz - Hallertauer Mittelfrüher, Type: Pellet, AA: 4.25, Use: First Wort, IBU: 18.04

MASH GUIDELINES:
1) Strike, Temp: 154 F, Time: 60 min, Amount: 3.75 gal
Starting Mash Thickness: 1.5 qt/lb

YEAST:
Fermentis / Safale - Saflager - German Lager Yeast W-34/70
any water additions? did you use RO or spring water

Back