Great HOP pricing going on!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pol,

Have you used this before? If this works its a great deal, but i have one of the handheld ziploc ones and it gives me nothing but problems.

Also, can you use the attachments for things like mason jars and such?

Dont have it, but I am throwing it out there. I get these promotional deals from this store that are limited quantities or time... I got this one today. I dont have it, but someone may be interested in it.

Pol,

Have you used this before? If this works its a great deal, but i have one of the handheld ziploc ones and it gives me nothing but problems.

Also, can you use the attachments for things like mason jars and such?
I have the Reynolds version of this vacuum sealer ($7.67 at Amazon.) My plan is to buy one of the jar sealing lids to see if it will work, but I don't see why not.

It uses the same type of check valve in the bag, so may have similar problems as your ziploc. I had inconsistent results with my Reynolds, but have had good luck by double bagging my hops. (Actually triple bag.) I put the bag from Hops Direct into a vacuum bag and suck the air out. Then I fold it over and put it into a second vacuum bag and seal it again. Seems like a waste of bags, but when you consider that you can reuse them, it's not too bad.

The thing I like about the one in Pols link is that it has a charger stand. The Reynolds sealer was tough on batteries. It even wiped out rechargeables pretty fast. I took an old power supply and wired it up to mine. It has to be plugged in to work, but that not really a problem.

does anybody else have a slight cheesy smell on their whole leaf hops? Both my amarillo and centennial are like this. I've never dealt with whole leaf, is this slight cheesiness the way they usually smell?

I noticed today they have new crop leaf hops for just a couple dollars more than last years (for some varieties)

I just finished separating the 3lbs that my Dad ordered. He wound up being 3.75 oz over. I did some math, based on what it would've cost to get the same amount from our LHBS.

LHBS = $2.75 an ounce at 48oz = $132 + $9.24 tax = $141
LHBS = $2.75 an ounce at 51 3/4 oz= $142 + $9.94 tax = $151
HD = .695c an ounce at 51 3/4 oz + shipping = $36

So my Dad saved about $115 by buying from HD instead of the LHBS. Good savings...

I figured if my 13lbs was all exactly 16oz each, I spent $144.56 plus ~$16 shipping for ~$160

The LHBS would've been $572 + $40 tax = ~$612

With a savings of ~$450. Wow.

I bought 4 pounds and ended up with an extra 10 ounces overal. Don't ya just hate when they don't deliver exactly what they promised? ;)

So I'm formulating recipes using these hops, should I trust the Beersmith tool for alpha adjust? I don't want to end up with an under.over hopper brew...

anyone in cincinnati (Im in westchester) want to trade off some of these hops. I got 6 pounds 2008 crop that I wouldnt mind trading a few ounces for other varieties. Send me a PM if interested.
I have..
US saaz pellet
Willamette pellet
Cascade leaf and pellet
Magnum pellet
Pearle pellet.

So I'm formulating recipes using these hops, should I trust the Beersmith tool for alpha adjust? I don't want to end up with an under.over hopper brew...

Use the AA value that is on the Hops Direct page. You just double click on the hop in Beersmith and change the Alpha value.

if it's adjusted that's great, if not, that's still great because I spent about 20% of what I would have spent going to my LHBS.

either way does anyone know if it's adjusted or not?

YEa I don't care either way I just don't want to end up with a way out of whack beer if I can help it. Cascade loses up to 50% AA a year...

Are you saying the AA posted on hopsdirect is adjusted for being a year old?

Whatever the AA's are on the package that you get from Puterbaugh Farms is the AA's for that hop at the time of packaging. If you have concerns about the AA's then by all means email Puterbaugh Farms and see what they hafta say. As a matter of fact I believe I'll do that anyways.

BTW still Great Hop Pricing going on! Better than this time last year.

If you have concerns about the AA's then by all means email Puterbaugh Farms and see what they hafta say. As a matter of fact I believe I'll do that anyways.

BTW still Great Hop Pricing going on! Better than this time last year.

Message sent.

I'll post to see what the response is.

Yup on the price, ..;Last year i was spending $20 a lb, and that was cheap, i saw cascade going for $30-40 a lb..guess the shortage is over...lets hope.

You do realize that ANY hops you buy out there at a HBS are going to be at least a year old right? Do you think those vendors update thier AA's? Pshhha, right :drunk:

Thiers are all 2008 at best, and they are still charging you double or triple what HD is.

The "old stock" Cascade leaf I received last week sure looked like "new" to me. They were very loose as compared to the other varieties which were all tightly compressed. Somewhere along the line when they run out of "old" they are going to send you "new".

I was a bit disappointed in the Cascade in that it lacked many whole cones and was mostly individual leaf. Just brewed this weekend so time will tell if they provide the punch.

I think maybe I am missing something. Can anybody point me to where on the Hops Direct site it says that they are selling 2008 Hops? I see is a line that says "2009 Hop Harvest has STARTED". And one that says "Look for NEW CROP LEAF Prices". Maybe you guys have contacted them and know they are selling 2008 hops, but its not obvious to me (not that it matters).

I think maybe I am missing something. Can anybody point me to where on the Hops Direct site it says that they are selling 2008 Hops? I see is a line that says "2009 Hop Harvest has STARTED". And one that says "Look for NEW CROP LEAF Prices". Maybe you guys have contacted them and know they are selling 2008 hops, but its not obvious to me (not that it matters).

Well, ALL OF THE 2009 HOPS are sold as "New Stock". You can see it clearly on the site. They have not made the pellets yet... they had a statement that said they were going to start making the Cascade pellet first. If you arent buying "NEW STOCK" then they are 2008.... just like every other store is selling for 3x as much .

So do the shipped pellets have the correct aa? Or do I need to calculate a year degradation in oxygenfree frozen environment?

So do the shipped pellets have the correct aa? Or do I need to calculate a year degradation in oxygenfree frozen environment?

My guess would be that they are not testing the AA monthly and updating the packages. My guess is that it would be just like buying from the LHBS, the listed AA will be the original

My guess would be that they are not testing the AA monthly and updating the packages. My guess is that it would be just like buying from the LHBS, the listed AA will be the original

According to Roqk, this is innacurate:

Whatever the AA's are on the package that you get from Puterbaugh Farms is the AA's for that hop at the time of packaging. If you have concerns about the AA's then by all means email Puterbaugh Farms and see what they hafta say. As a matter of fact I believe I'll do that anyways.

Roqk, any word from HD?

According to Roqk, this is innacurate:

Roqk, any word from HD?

Actually both statements are correct and non-contradictory. The AA is determined at the time of packaging. This is the value that is put on the package. They do not recheck and update that value as the packages sit in storage for the year.

They are nitrogen packed and stored subfreezing so AA decline should be minimal. Not nonexistent but minimal. To date I have never had a result in the bottle that differed appreciably from the AA listed on the bag.

Actually both statements are correct and non-contradictory. The AA is determnied at the time of packaging. This is the value that is put on the package. They do not recheck and update that value as the packages sit in storage for the year.

They are nitrogen packed and stored subfreezing so AA decline should be minimal. Not nonexistent but minimal. To date I have never had a result in the bottle that differed appreciably from the AA listed on the bag.

Right... my statement is the same as that of Roqk. These statements are not mutually exclusive. Unless of course you are under the assumption that they dont package the hops until you order them.

There was a statement made in this thread that Cascades lose 50% of thier AA in 12 months, I dont know where that came from, but if I plug this into ProMash (which will track AA degradation) it is more like 7.2AA to 6.6AA over the course of a full year (vaccuum and frozen at 20F)

so for 2008 pellets we are to assume they were 'pelleted' and vacuum sealed at 20f in October of 2008? is that a good measure?

(I was asking because I like to keep my inventory on promash looking clean and accurate, especially hops)

I think it is actually 30f but otherwise yes that sounds correct.

(And if I had realized my last post was going to be quoted I would have corrected the glaring spelling error. :eek: )

Right... my statement is the same as that of Roqk. These statements are not mutually exclusive. Unless of course you are under the assumption that they dont package the hops until you order them.

There was a statement made in this thread that Cascades lose 50% of thier AA in 12 months, I dont know where that came from, but if I plug this into ProMash (which will track AA degradation) it is more like 7.2AA to 6.6AA over the course of a full year (vaccuum and frozen at 20F)

My information came from Brewmonkey's hop data "US Cascade...Storageability 48 - 52% alpha acids remaining after 6 months storage at 20°C" -Brew Monkey

Not sure if it is correct bit this actually says 50% in 6 months, please correct me if I'm wrong I would like to formulate my recipes in Beersmith using the correct values.

And not in nitrogen storage either. My educated guess is that the alpha deterioration is less than 10% per year under storage conditions at HD and optimal storage at home.

Back