Great HOP pricing going on!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you have a vacuum sealer, just do which ever is more convenient for you.

If you do not have a vacuum sealer, leaving them in their current package is you best bet (while you go get a sealer ;) ).

I have a brand spankin new sealer I bought just for this. (it will get plenty of use elsewhere around the house/kitchen). I was all pumped and ready to fire it up, then started thinking about keeping everything as fresh as possible for as long as possible.

My concern was opening an original bag after it has been in the freezer for a few weeks and finding a solid 1lb pellet.

So is the consensus that I shouldn't have any problems separating after they have been in the freezer??

Thanks
Ed

It will be a 1 lb pellet. But not a solid one. With some pressure it break up easily into the original pellets.

My concern was opening an original bag after it has been in the freezer for a few weeks and finding a solid 1lb pellet.

So is the consensus that I shouldn't have any problems separating after they have been in the freezer??

Nah, it'll be fine. The small pellets come apart, no problem.

RDWHAHB

Ordered a lb each of Cascade, Amarillo, Williamette, Saaz, and Crystal. Great prices. From order to receiving the hops, it looks like it'll be about 2 weeks. I'm located on the opposite end of the country. Well worth the wait. Shipping wasn't that bad either. Was under $11 bucks...so I still came out way ahead than if I ordered them by the ounce anywhere else. Wouldn't have ever known about the sale if I hadn't read it here. Thanks everyone!

Thanks
Ed

I had to cut the bags open and break them apart with a rolling pin. Don't worry, it wasn't hard.

Just whack the bags with a rolling pin before opening them. much less messy.

I tried that. The vacuum seal on the bag was too good and they would not break up until the bag was cut. Either way it wasn't messy. The only messy part of packaging my hops was handling the magnum hops; they are sticky aren't they.

I ordered 8 pounds for a friend and myself on Monday and received an e-mail today from UPS that they have received the electronic shipment information from Hops Direct. Awesome turnaround time considering how busy they must be. Now it's just a quick 200 mile road trip to my freezer.:rockin: I think I can already smell them.:ban::ban:

I got my 2# almost 2 weeks from the order date, they arrived two days ago. As I was placing them in the freezer, I realized I need to order more to take advantage of the price but also the shipping. I ran inside and immediately ordered four more pounds...I think there was a pool of drool at my feet after I submitted the order, lol!

With the activity on this thread, I wonder how much business they are seeing from HBT referrals?

Just paid $25 for a pound and a half of Willamette leaf from a guy that grew it locally, then I see this thread...

Cascade Pellet Hops 1 lb. $ 8.75
Columbus Pellet Hops 1 lb. $ 12.75
Galena Pellet Hops 1 lb. $ 9.75
Amarillo Hop Leaf: 1 lbs. $ 13.50
on its way to my doorstep in a week or two.

Thanks for the heads up folks!

I got 5 pounds! I don't feel so bad using 8 ounces of hops in an DIPA at those prices!

It sounds like freezing the 1lb bags of pellets is fine but what about whole hops? I would think they would be a lot more difficult to split up after freezing. I don't want to be dealing with an 18oz Cascade hopcicle when I go to brew my next batch! :D

the whole hop bags do take up a lot of space. if you seal them wiht a foodsaver you end up with more space I found. they take up less space that way. or maybe I'm trying to convince myself.

My order is en route... I ordered 2 lbs of pellets and the shipping was $10...I wish I had ordered more given what shipping costs...

that's great! either he's capitalizing by living close, or he works there.

either way I'm somewhat upset they don't have any other ones on there just cascade. (already bought a pound of those)

I saw that ebay listing and was skeptical (2009 hops while HopsDirect is selling 2008?). I had emailed him to inquire about them and days had passed before he responded, and in the interim I ordered from HopsDirect. Shortly after I did, he replied to my email and seemed straight up... but there was a lag in his receiving my questions.

Yeah, I heard about the ebay guy on a local mailing list, but I'm confused as to how he got pelletized hops so early. According to ebay history he started selling them on Sept 30, and Puterbaugh Farms hasn't even started selling their 2009 crop for pellets yet. Puterbaugh says their harvest usually takes all of September and then they fire up the pelletization machine and pellets become available first or second week of October. Anyway, I hope Puterbaugh starts selling pellets soon!

Just got my third (and probably final... for a while) order. One of the 4 bags didn't keep the seal, but since I'm borrowing a seal-n-save from my in laws (which takes foodsaver bags), it wasn't a big deal to re-bag into smaller quantities while I was doing that with some other hops. All 1 pound bags were 17.5-18.5 oz, as seems to be the usual for the pellet orders.

(BTW, god damn it takes a long time to break up hops into smaller foodsaver bags)

Jumped on the band wagon late but just ordered 4lbs. of pellets this evening. I'll probably wish I'd have ordered more but oh well.

I am soooo weak, I just ordered 10 lbs of hops, 10 lbs! That is just too cool. 60 cents an ounce overall, that is even cooler.

Yeah, I heard about the ebay guy on a local mailing list, but I'm confused as to how he got pelletized hops so early. According to ebay history he started selling them on Sept 30, and Puterbaugh Farms hasn't even started selling their 2009 crop for pellets yet. Puterbaugh says their harvest usually takes all of September and then they fire up the pelletization machine and pellets become available first or second week of October. Anyway, I hope Puterbaugh starts selling pellets soon!

FYI, I just got this message back from Puterbaugh about their 2009 crop in pellets:
The 2009 crop will be available in pellets by the end of December.

Thanks!
-T​

That's a ways away. :( So I guess I'll just go ahead and order some more 2008 pellets now. I want to brew Pliney in a couple weeks so I can't wait for the 2009 crop. And I don't buy leaf hops cause I don't have the freezer space. Now if only I could find a good bulk rate on Simcoe I'd be totally set...

no kidding, it took me about 1 hour per pound and damn that vacuum sound gets annoying after about 10 minutes.

I went with jars and the jar attachment. The pint sized jar holds a half pound of pellet, then a few seconds to seal the lid and write on the top and I was done.

I went with jars and the jar attachment. The pint sized jar holds a half pound of pellet, then a few seconds to seal the lid and write on the top and I was done.

Yeah, my foodsaver jar sealer came in the mail today (hooray!), and it works with my crappy $5 Reynolds' Vac Sealer (hooray!!). So next time it'll be much, much faster.

i finally finished "foodsaving" and labeling my 4# tonight. it probably took about 5 total hours, i wasn't expecting that at all. i made custom sized bags on the foodsaver and everything, it was kind of a pain in the ass. but i tell you what... the sight of the freezer with 4, 1 gallon ziplocks, each with 16-17 one ounce packets of hops makes me feel REALLY good, so the work was worth it. not to mention the price tag of each ounce.

I made custom sized bags for my 4 pounds and it did not take more than 2 hours. and it was my first time using a food saver... what do you people do that takes so long?

Well, at least for my part, it was the first time using the 'seal n save' without any instructions, so a good 15 minutes was figuring out exactly how to use it. It also took a while for the heat sealer to seal each time (~20-30 seconds?), and a good 20 minutes was wasted trying to get the 'perfect' size that could just hold 1 ounce of hops without wasting a lot of bag space. Then you have the weighing, filling the bag, cutting it/sealing it, labeling it, etc.

Yeah, my foodsaver jar sealer came in the mail today (hooray!), and it works with my crappy $5 Reynolds' Vac Sealer (hooray!!). So next time it'll be much, much faster.

Yay! You will like that for sure!

i finally finished "foodsaving" and labeling my 4# tonight. it probably took about 5 total hours, i wasn't expecting that at all. i made custom sized bags on the foodsaver and everything, it was kind of a pain in the ass. but i tell you what... the sight of the freezer with 4, 1 gallon ziplocks, each with 16-17 one ounce packets of hops makes me feel REALLY good, so the work was worth it. not to mention the price tag of each ounce.

I was going to do this, but the food saver thing is not really good at small bags. You always lose like 1" of baggie each time you seal (unless there is some trick I am missing here..) and those rolls go fast enough when you are using it for food =)

The jars are a lifesaver!

yeah, i don't know what took me so long. i did have some troubles with smaller bags, i was borrowing the unit from a friend's parents that was 2 years old and had never been used and trying to conserve the roll. there needs to be a button on those things for just sealing a bag. each time, i had to go through vacuum then seal just to make the bags. i had to give my wife and dog 'break time' in between the annoying noises. but it's done, so that's all that matters.

FYI, I just got this message back from Puterbaugh about their 2009 crop in pellets:
The 2009 crop will be available in pellets by the end of December.

Thanks!
-T​

That's a ways away. :( So I guess I'll just go ahead and order some more 2008 pellets now. I want to brew Pliney in a couple weeks so I can't wait for the 2009 crop. And I don't buy leaf hops cause I don't have the freezer space. Now if only I could find a good bulk rate on Simcoe I'd be totally set...

If you are ok with pellets, you can't beat Niko's sale on 1lb Simcoe right now.

where are the 1 lb of simcoes?

also, my foodsaver has a button for just sealing without suctioning.

as far as jars go, where do I get copatible jars or whatever? I wasted the 2 rolls my food saver came with to pack 4 lbs of hops.... jars wouldve been a much brighter and easier, cleaner, better looking, quicker, cheaper (reusable) idea.

anyone got an idea? I have the attachment for my foodsaver. where do I get cheap jars?

The 1 lb simcoes on Niko are here (2nd page of the pellets): http://www.nikobrew.com/index.php?p...&category_id=5&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=1

They're $20 though (+$5 for shipping) and are 2007 crop. I don't mind buying 2008 crop but 2 year old crop is kind of pushing it... I'm sure it's still fine, but I want more of a discount then. I guess I'm spoiled by the hopsdirect prices. They've made me feel like a good deal is $8 to $12 per pound, and now $20 for a pound feels expensive : )

as far as jars go, where do I get copatible jars or whatever? I wasted the 2 rolls my food saver came with to pack 4 lbs of hops.... jars wouldve been a much brighter and easier, cleaner, better looking, quicker, cheaper (reusable) idea.

anyone got an idea? I have the attachment for my foodsaver. where do I get cheap jars?

I picked them up at Big Lots, but Walmart/Target/etc might sell them as well. Paid about $7 for a case of 16 jars and lids I think (maybe 20?). Just make sure you're getting the 'regular' or the 'wide mouth', depending on whatever your attachment can do. (Mine does 'regular', which I guess is not as common?)

Just placed my order for three pounds:

-Pound of cascade for pale ales and IPAs
-Pound of goldings for bitters/stouts
-Pound of willamette for stouts/experimenting

Just bought a food saver last night too :D

The 1 lb simcoes on Niko are here (2nd page of the pellets): http://www.nikobrew.com/index.php?p...&category_id=5&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=1

They're $20 though (+$5 for shipping) and are 2007 crop. I don't mind buying 2008 crop but 2 year old crop is kind of pushing it... I'm sure it's still fine, but I want more of a discount then. I guess I'm spoiled by the hopsdirect prices. They've made me feel like a good deal is $8 to $12 per pound, and now $20 for a pound feels expensive : )

I don't think you will find Simcoe any cheaper, and $5 shipping is a deal. I added a few more pounds and it was still $5 shipping. They have some discounts for HBT folks, search around the threads. And Niko is a great guy. He also has Summit and Warrior, which are difficult to find at a good price in my experience.

Latest posts

Back