Great Divide Yeti Clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tlylebrew

Reaction score
Just got done brewing a Yeti clone with a friend. Added some alcohol booster too. Did it by the book with no problems. It was a bit windy out though.

OG ended up 1.120. I made a big 2-liter starter earlier this week so hopefully that will get me down below 1.020.. If that is the case this is going to be a monster at 13.9% abv... Gonna oak it when I transfer to a secondary... I'm thinking 4oz of chips soaked for a week in whiskey of some type. What do you guys think??

Can't wait to try it!! Wish me luck..

Bump!! Less than twelve hours later we have very active fermentation.. Hopefully she doesn't blow over...

I'll keep people posted, in case anyone cares :)

I'd oak it with 1 oz and taste it ever other day. I'd use medium toast french oak. I'd stay away from the american oak. You can always add more oak as you go but you can't take it back. Anyone that has tried an over-oaked beer regrets it! :mug:

Always loved the Yeti. What was your recipe?

I got the clone from AHS I believe. It was a huge kit and then I had to be stupid and add the alcohol booster.

I'll see if they have the ingredients on their website and post it.

Right now it is about 68° Hoping to drop it down to my basement temp of 66° so it doesn't blow over...

I don't know if that'll make it not blow over. If it's been ferming for a couple of days then the worst is probably over. But I'd watch it. Big beer= big clean up! :D

Your temp seems good to clean up the hotness of the alcohol booster that you added. I wouldn't ferm above 68 though. I'd definitely want to be closer to 66 if I was you.

Seems to be holding a steady 68° may go up if it keeps bubbling.. Fermentation just started this morning, so I think the worst is yet to come. I am going to set the bucket inside a box lined with a garbage bag just in case.

It is a 7 gallon bucket, so I think I'll be alright. Just depends on how high that kraussen wants to go.

Just 1oz ehh. I'll take that under consideration. It is true you can't take it back.

Where the heck can I get french oak?? I bought some oak chips from the LHBS, not sure if they are American or French.. Because it doesn't say I'll assume American.

I'd definitely call up your LHBS and ask them. It's assumed that American oak is twice as powerful and harsh as French. There's a huge difference.

Yeah, I'd definitely go light on the oak to start with. It'll take forever in the secondary so you've got the time to do it perfectly. :D

Thanks for the tips I had no idea there was such a difference, but it was why I posted here. I figured someone had done it, or knew someone who had.

Just an update on the beer:

Still holding around 68° still bubbling like mad. actually will need to change my airlock because krausen got up into it. None actually came out thank goodness, but don't want to get any bacteria growing in the airlock. Definately a monster inside that bucket.. It makes more farty sounds than I do!!

Just wanted to provide an update. Put this Yeti Clone in bottles last week. Decided not to oak it because I wasn't confident enough I wouldn't ruin this beer. The sample for my hydrometer reading tasted great. Can't wait for this to carb up.. Thumbs up from me already and I haven't even tasted the finished product yet.

SG 1.130, FG 1.028, looks to be a hair splitting 13.6% ABV... Gonna love it in a few months!!

Sorry Edit didn't seem to work, but SG was 1.120, SG is 1.028.. Making ABV 12.3%

Just to be a stickler:

1. Yeti are from the Himilayas
2. The Great Divide is the Rocky Mountains
3. Big Foot or Sasquatch are from North America

So..."Great Divide BigFoot" or the "Great Divide Sasquatch" would be more correct, right? :D

Just to be a stickler:

1. Yeti are from the Himilayas
2. The Great Divide is the Rocky Mountains
3. Big Foot or Sasquatch are from North America

So..."Great Divide BigFoot" or the "Great Divide Sasquatch" would be more correct, right? :D

But Sierra Nevada already has a BigFoot......

:drunk::drunk::drunk::drunk:

I have to confess I did.. I had one that was only 3/4 of a bottle.. It wasn't carbed yet, only went pffft, but it tasted great!!

Haven't had one of the Yeti's in awhile, but if I had to guess it was pretty close, and tasted excellent. Can't wait for it to carb up!

UPDATE: After two months this beer finally carb'ed up. I thought for sure I had killed the yeasties, but heck they are pro's and finally came through. It may be the best tasting beer I have brewed yet, but I have to say I have a double IPA that I brewed approaching 14% that may be better, I just need to give it time...

Also have a raspberry wheat that should be ready this week. Need to mix it in. Those Yeti's pack a punch and I can't manage to drink more than one or two a night.. Oh to have these problems :)

I'd definitely call up your LHBS and ask them. It's assumed that American oak is twice as powerful and harsh as French. There's a huge difference.

Yeah, I'd definitely go light on the oak to start with. It'll take forever in the secondary so you've got the time to do it perfectly. :D

The difference between American and French oak wine barrels is that American barrels are constructed in the same way whiskey barrels are. They are sawn instead of split. The French barrels are split, so the oak fibers are not cut as much. This is why French oak imparts a more subtle flavor, and this is the reason why it matters so much with wine.

With chips, I wouldn't think it would matter, as they are cut up. How much did you wind up using? Tbrew?

You said you got the kit from AHS--can you provide a recipe?

I didn't end up oaking it. Wanted to tasted it as is and I am glad I did. It is very good. Next one I brew will be with oak chips.

The difference between American and French oak wine barrels is that American barrels are constructed in the same way whiskey barrels are. They are sawn instead of split. The French barrels are split, so the oak fibers are not cut as much. This is why French oak imparts a more subtle flavor, and this is the reason why it matters so much with wine.

With chips, I wouldn't think it would matter, as they are cut up. How much did you wind up using? Tbrew?

I'm drinking one of these as I write this. I was skeptical, but it's a very close clone. Delicious.

hehe I have been drinking them a bit too fast.. Need to mix in the Raspberry wheats. It will knock you in the pants that is for sure!!

Could you post the recipe that came with the kit? I called and asked AHS and they said you have to buy the kit to get the recipe, ugh. I am brewing in 2 days.

December, 2016, still no recipe... hope OP didn't die of alcohol poisoning. A recipe would be great if someone has it.

Call them and say you ordered the kit but it doesn't have any instructions in it. Ask if they'll email them to you.

Back