Great Divide Brewing Co - labels are a nightmare to get off!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MistyMountainHops

Reaction score
Has anyone else noticed this? I have my technique for removing labels (as I am sure you all have too), but the Great Divide labels might be the most stubborn ones I have encountered to date. I dont know if it's the amount of glue they use, or the glue in general but I gave up. I just tossed em all.

I keg most of the time, so it's water under the bridge really, but I was curious if anyone else had issues with them too.

There is a couple of threads around here discussing which bottles are easy and which are hard both for delabelling and for capping. My personal least favorite is Amstel (for both)

I soak my bottles over night in warm water with Oxy Clean. To get off residue or stubborn labels like Great Divide I use a steel dish scrubber thing. It takes off pretty much anything with ease after a good soak.

Don't know the exact brand, but if they are the plasticky or foil type of label, fill with warm water and leave for 10mins to loosen the glue then peel back a corner with the back of a spoon and then slowly peel off.

Works with a few brands over here like Innes & Gunn or St Peter's.

I dont know if it's the amount of glue they use, or the glue in general but I gave up. I just tossed em all.

Nowadays I just recycle any bottles that don't delabel easily. It's not worth the effort.

I agree with the prev. poster that those plasticky Amstel labels are evil. Some of the foil Japanese labels are a pain, too.

20 minutes in oxy and GD labels slide right off for me. Maybe the glue is curing on its way to Oklahoma. :D They're less than a mile from me so I get the fresh stuff!

Back