Great deal on a 10 gal cooler

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

neckbone

Reaction score
All I need is a new burner to get 13+ gal boiling and I'm going all grain.

Stopped by the Coleman factory outlet today to see what they had. Picked up a 10 gal beverage cooler for $30. It was an overrun for some Old Spice sports theme or something. Who cares, it's a liquor tank now. This will go along w/ my 70qt Ice Cube cooler. I should be able to do 10 gals of some big belgians now.

Any differences I should know about going square instead of round?

5660C718G_500.jpg

For an HLT, I can't see any difference.

If you ever plan on using it as a MLT, then the only difference I can think of off of the top of my head might be the shape differential of a rounded false bottom (if you use one/want to use one). You will have some dead flow space in the corners, which only matters during continuous sparges.

Basically, it's a great find that only has minor problems if you plan to use it for mashing and are continuous sparging with a pre-fab round false bottom. If that is not your situation, then congratulations!

I'm thinking about either putting together a quick 3/8" or 1/2" copper pipe false bottom (tubing put into a square) or doing the washing machine hose. Leaning towards the copper.

Back