Great and getting worse

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hoppybrewster

Reaction score
I brewed an IPA that was awesome after 3 weeks in the bottle. Now it seems like it's going south. Even the Color is getting darker, what's going on here?

Not sure, but I'm experiencing the exact same thing! My IPA had a really nice hop aroma, etc. and a nice, clean taste. Now, it has a decent aroma and a minor yeast bite (although that may be because I pour a wee bit of the bottom slurry once I've had a couple).

I suspect it may mean that the additional fermentation in the bottle (from the bottling sugar) has something to do with it.

Easy solution: drink it faster! :mug:

IPA will lose it's hop character with time. IPA's are better when consumed young, so drink 'em up quick and make another batch!

IPA will lose it's hop character with time. IPA's are better when consumed young, so drink 'em up quick and make another batch!

exactly! :mug: you've got about a month, give or take, after bottle conditioning for the hops to begin to fade a bit. in an IPA, this is really noticeable. IPA's are best consumed quite young. when i bottle an IPA, as soon as it's done in bottles, i drink it up quick, usually w/in 6 weeks or so. after 4-8 weeks, the hops, namely the aroma hops start to go south.

Dumb question/observation here, and I am in no way disputing consuming an IPA young (that's why it's my next planned brew, shouldn't have started with a stout :) ), but:

Does it strike anyone else as ironic that an IPA, which originally was developed to make a rather long sailing trip, doesn't really age very well? I'm not a sailing guy, but I'm guessing that trip had to take weeks, kinda makes you wonder how great it was on arrival...

Apologies if this is too far off topic, one of those little things that has become stuck in my brain! :mug:

Dumb question/observation here, and I am in no way disputing consuming an IPA young (that's why it's my next planned brew, shouldn't have started with a stout :) ), but:

Does it strike anyone else as ironic that an IPA, which originally was developed to make a rather long sailing trip, doesn't really age very well? I'm not a sailing guy, but I'm guessing that trip had to take weeks, kinda makes you wonder how great it was on arrival...

Apologies if this is too far off topic, one of those little things that has become stuck in my brain! :mug:

The large amounts of hops in IPA's were used to help preserve the beer. They were drinking it, because it was safer to drink than water would have been. I seriously doubt if they cared or even noticed if the flavor was changing with time.. It was more about living and sustenance than it was about enjoying a good beer..

Good call, hadn't really been thinking about the cultural role of beer then vs. now.
De-rail over :D

You also have to remember that those making the long trip were English IPA's,not at all like an American IPA. They had a lot of bittering from the hops,not so much flavor & aroma. They don't seem to like the US version. Way too much hop flavor/bitiness for their tastes. They just about have to choke it dow. Even the Aussies thought I was crazy putting 6oz of hops in my IPA as late additions.

Latest posts

Back