Gravity went up .02 in a week!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

raider72

Reaction score
I'm currently fermenting a vanilla oatmeal stout in my conical . A week into it I put my soaked vanilla beans in it and got a gravity reading of 1.28 the O.G. was 1.68. So 2 weeks into it I checked my gravity and it went up to 1.32. Is this normal? Oh yeah and I used 2000ml yeast starter kit.

I suppose the discovery of anti-fermentation is an announcement of sorts, but I don't think that's what this forum was intended for.

It's probably temperate changes. The temperature of your liquid will change the reading. Your hydrometer is calibrated to read at 60 degrees. You can try to get it as close to that as you can or use an online calculator. I personally don't bother as long as you take the reading at the same temps you shouldn't have a problem.

I've had a heat blanket on it since day one and its been holding a steady temp of 68-70 deg.

Oh damn I feel like a fool I'm still new at this and was reading it 1.32 when its 1.032. Thanks for your help! I have much to learn .

Latest posts

Back