Gravity still high

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

berk2027

Reaction score
Hi my brew has been fermenting for around 2 weeks the og was 1062 and it has seemed to stop at 1012 every book I seem to look in states do not bottle unless its 1010 or below any idears. Also how do I work out tha alc in my brew

A beer can be finished at ANY gravity. A lot of beer finish at 1.020. A beer is finished when the gravity stops dropping, NOT necessarily by the number it is finished at. I have a barleywine that is finished at 1.040, but it's starting gravity was 1.170, so although it seems like a high final gravity, in terms of the beers style, it really isn't.

Take another gravity reading in 2 days, if the number is the same, regardless of what number you think it should be, then it is.

There's nothing wrong with 1.012

You can calculate alcohol by volume (abv) by taking Original Gravity (o.g.) - final gravity (f.g.) x 131.25.

So if you take another gravity reading on saturday and it is still at 1.012 then you know that it is finished and ready to package. (just saw your post above after i submitted this)

The alcohol by volume would be:

(OG) 1.062 - 1.012 (FG) x 131.25 = 6.56% (abv)

what style of beer did you brew?

A beer can be finished at ANY gravity. A lot of beer finish at 1.020. A beer is finished when the gravity stops dropping, NOT necessarily by the number it is finished at. I have a barleywine that is finished at 1.040, but it's starting gravity was 1.170, so although it seems like a high final gravity, in terms of the beers style, it really isn't.

Take another gravity reading in 2 days, if the number is the same, regardless of what number you think it should be, then it is.

There's nothing wrong with 1.012

HOLY 1.170! That'll be getting good in about 10 years! :p

Ok thankyou the gravity has been 1012 for 2,3 days any way.

If the OG is at 1.012 for a few days, I'd say you're good. Bottle it up! What'd you brew?

Berrybrew a strong bitter recipe from one of CJJ Berry books with a few changes being no colouring and used half spray malt sugar substitute half and half with sugar

Back