Gravity Semantic Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mgo737

Reaction score
so say a beer has an O.G. of 1.090. How do you properly say that? ie: "one point zero nine zero" or "ten ninety" or other?

Anyway, just want to sound like I know what I'm talking bout when I talk to experienced brewers... thanks.

Is use SG measurements for my job (it is not brewing). We always say it 10 90 (ten ninety).

i've always wondered this too. most of my brew education has come from books and websites, so i don't "talk shop" face to face often.

i was talking to a guy at work and told him that my pumpkin ale had a OG of "seventy". he understood, so i figured that was acceptable. that's just the way I've always referred to it in my head.

ok and say final gravity is 1.005. do you just say "oh five"?

Thats a great question. I just assumed it was read "ten ninety". It is interesting to see most people omit the the "ten" since it isn't necessary.

Thats a great question. I just assumed it was read "ten ninety". It is interesting to see most people omit the the "ten" since it isn't necessary.

Yeah at least in the beer homebrewing world, usually our beers are under 1.10 so two digits does fine.

Back