Gravity ?'s

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

djc_6508

Reaction score
Im brewing an IPA that is supposed to have final gravity of about 1.010. My origional gravity was 1.061. I just moved it into secondary (14 days in primary), and checked my gravity before I added 1oz kent goldings for dry hopping, gravity was 1.019. My question is will this move at all during secondary, or is she pretty much done? Also, does anyone recommend adding something to start up fermentation again?

Since you've removed it from the yeast cake it will be difficult, at best, to restart fermentation. Of course, if this is an extract batch batch, then you're probably at the FG. You would have been better off checking the gravity before you racked it to the brite tank for dry hopping... If this is an all grain batch, then what temperature did you mash at (and for how long)?? What yeast did you use? What temperature did it ferment at??

That's a little high, but nothing you should worry about. I had an extract batch end at 1.017, and all was well.

I don't have any experience with secondaries, but there's probably a chance that the gravity might drop a *tiny* bit more. You've taken the beer off the yeast cake, but there's still yeast in suspension, and they might get kicked back into action. I wouldn't expect much of a change though.

Good luck! :mug:

Since you've removed it from the yeast cake it will be difficult, at best, to restart fermentation. Of course, if this is an extract batch batch, then you're probably at the FG. You would have been better off checking the gravity before you racked it to the brite tank for dry hopping... If this is an all grain batch, then what temperature did you mash at (and for how long)?? What yeast did you use? What temperature did it ferment at??

It's an extract kit (partial mash). It has been fermenting around 65-68 degrees.

That's a little high, but nothing you should worry about. I had an extract batch end at 1.017, and all was well.

I don't have any experience with secondaries, but there's probably a chance that the gravity might drop a *tiny* bit more. You've taken the beer off the yeast cake, but there's still yeast in suspension, and they might get kicked back into action. I wouldn't expect much of a change though.

Good luck! :mug:

Is my gravity any indication that something may have gone wrong in primary? I did have an incident on the 2nd day in primary. It was such a violent ferm. it blew the bung right off the carboy (I know to use a blowoff next time). After reading about it on here I tried to brush it off as no biggy, but Im paranoid because all I want to do is brew a descent batch of freakin beer. All 7 of my previous attempts were not delicious to say the least. Long story short, did I pull it out of primary too early?

It's an extract kit (partial mash). It has been fermenting around 65-68 degrees.

You mean a partial mash, as in you actually mashed and sparged the grains. Or was it a batch where you steeped the grains before going to the boil and adding the extract (which is where all the fermenting sugars came from)??

djc_6508 said:
Is my gravity any indication that something may have gone wrong in primary? I did have an incident on the 2nd day in primary. It was such a violent ferm. it blew the bung right off the carboy (I know to use a blowoff next time). After reading about it on here I tried to brush it off as no biggy, but Im paranoid because all I want to do is brew a descent batch of freakin beer. All 7 of my previous attempts were not delicious to say the least. Long story short, did I pull it out of primary too early?

There's a common 'issue' with extract batches. Called the "curse of 1.020" where your FG is pretty much 1.020 (or within a few points of it) no matter what you do to the batch. It's part of the nature of extract batches. Once you're actually mashing the grain, you control the mash temp, which in turn controls where the FG lands. Mash lower (temperature) and the FG finishes lower (also lighter body). Mash higher and the FG is higher, but you have a more full bodied brew.

As for pulling it too soon, without knowing the yeast you used, it's possible, but probably not. IF you had taken two SG readings, 2-3 days apart, you would KNOW if it's at FG or not. I wouldn't (and don't) transfer any brew unless you're 100% sure it's done fermenting.

It's nice to know that I'm not the only one worth this issue. I used white labs california (ale?).

You were likely fine in transferring. We no longer use secondaries so we only transfer to our final. We keg, so we normally cold crash, leave a couple of days and transfer to our drinking keg. Your beer was about as good as it gets for extract. It is 5.6 % ABV so whgile it make take a few, it can still kick you a...

If you are having off flavors, you are either not sanitizing enough or fermenting at to high a temp. With ales we shoot for 67 degrees. I have left a "Dave Rag" over the outlet for the first few days. It is simply a paper shop towel soaked in start san.

We are nuts about santizing. We double sanitize everything even if it does not need it. We make up 10 gallons every time we brew.

I am an absolute nut about sanitizing. I have had a slightly sour finish to all my beers and having tasted starsand on my hand by accident before,I wonder if I'm using too much?

There's a common 'issue' with extract batches. Called the "curse of 1.020" where your FG is pretty much 1.020 (or within a few points of it) no matter what you do to the batch. It's part of the nature of extract batches

I really do not like hearing this repeated over and over. More likely it is some other issue, such as a recipe issue (to many unfermentables), not pitching enough healty yeast, aeration, fermentation temp or something else. Just calling it the 1.020 curse does nothing to help the OP.

I have done many brews using extract and never had any problem with them finishing where the should. I have extract brews (Saisons) finish as 1.004.

Without seeing the recipe, and all of the other facts about the brew then just throwing the 1.020 curse out there does nothing to help the OP solve the problem.

I really do not like hearing this repeated over and over. More likely it is some other issue, such as a recipe issue (to many unfermentables), not pitching enough healty yeast, aeration, fermentation temp or something else. Just calling it the 1.020 curse does nothing to help the OP.

I have done many brews using extract and never had any problem with them finishing where the should. I have extract brews (Saisons) finish as 1.004.

Its a recipe issue not an extract issue. Lot of kits have a lot of darker extract combined with other unfermentables . but it makes all grain sound better if you blame it on the extract. I also have no problem getting extract into the single digits.

and to the OP, yes it can drop in the secondary. there is enough yeast in suspension to continue IF there is anything to ferment, otherwise we could never bottle condition.

If he got a kit for the recipe and made it with the ingredients formulated then it SHOULD have finished with the published FG. But, without knowing what extracts were used, or how it was brewed, we'll never know.

The previously mentioned 1.020 curse is NOT all encompassing, but it happens often enough to newer brewers. Just like you can make an all grain batch, mash higher than you expected and you'll not hit the FG you wanted.

Personally, the only thing I use malt extract for is my yeast starters. Even then, it's the lightest extract I can get. IF I was to ever brew an extract recipe/batch again I would also opt for the lightest DME I could get my hands on and use specialty grains for color and flavors.

Latest posts

Back