Gravity Reading

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AboutTheStout

Reaction score
Aight, so, uh...where to begin. I was advised by some to give my brew some extra time in the primary fermenter and so I did - tonight I went ahead and took a gravity reading and am sitting at 1.010 (I think I'm reading this right - does that sound off to anyone? - like high or low?) but the thing is with my recipe it doesn't really give a desired reading to be going for. The brew in question is a Nut Brown Ale - does anyone know if there are "average" readings per drink style or what not? I've tried looking online for the recipe I have here in my hands but I can't seem to find it. :mad:

Also, the day of brewing - when trying to pop in the Airlock the two "O-Rings" that created an air tight seal fell out - we did the best we could with getting em back on and what not but I was worried that without an air tight seal that maybe something "bad" would get in and start wreaking havoc on "muh drink" - not sure if that's just paranoid reasoning but when I opened her up everything looked/smelled great. Or at least on the right path. I guess I'm not so worried about that now because after a few weeks if something did happen it'd be evident, right? I only ask because I think we are going to go into the bottling phase next week and I want to make sure that it doesn't sit around longer with the chance of something getting in. Should I not even worry about this? I'm not some super paranoid person but I understand that we don't want "sh*t" gettin into the brew and having a chance to mess it all up.

Thanks ladies and gents. :fro:

Well, that's the thing...

It's funny cause I just got done reading the thread where dude stresses how much of an idiot he is, I was thinking "I probably take the cake" with that one.

It was about a week after I brewed and got everything going in the primary fermenter. I was going to take a reading and what not and noticed that in the directions for this recipe it said to bottle after 5-7 days. I was directed not to do this, not to rush things and what not and to just forget about the beer for and extra week or two. Well, I was out of town shortly after that and I just completely forgot about taking any readings on the beer. I dunno, things have been crazy around here and what not so I was putting things off. Probably not the best course of action, I know.

But so here is where I stand, this single reading showing about 1.010 and I have nothing to really go on with that. Like I said, the recipe doesn't really give me a reading to shoot for. I'm reading that this looks to be good so far, beer looks absolutely fine and smells great so I'm wondering if tomorrow I should just start soaking my bottles and hope to bottle on Sunday/Monday.

Also, a quick question about the Sugar solution I'm going to be boiling down. When I add this to my bucket with the brew to bottle - should I give it a little stir to make sure everything gets evenly distributed? Or should it automatically disperse and be good? I know at that point you don't want to jazz the beer up to much, but would a couple controlled and slow stirs have a possible effect? A negative one?

Sorry for the questions, unfortunately, I too suffer from idiotism. Which I know isn't really a word, but that about sums it up.

if the reading is the same for more then 2 days your done...

Yeah, that's what I'm hearing. I'm gonna check the "satellite fermenter" or whatever tomorrow and see where it stands. Maybe even Saturday. I'm assuming everything is on course to be aaaaaaalll goooooood. :mug:

Latest posts

Back