gravity reading, whats my next move

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBrady

Reaction score
This post should go here and not in the all grain section, sorry for the double post.

Ok original gravity was 1.060 on my beer, final should be 1.014. after about 36 hours im showing no more signs of fermentation, there isn't even enough pressure to push the cup in the airlock to the roof of the airlock and my gravity is only 1.039. I pitched the yeast to hot as mentioned in my previous posts and i didn't make a starter. All i did for oxygen after going to primary was just a aggressive pour from boil pot to primary, maybe that wasn't enough. Fermentation did look good for 24 hours bubbles every 3 seconds. What would you say is my next course of action? shaking for aeration, more yeast? thanks for any info this is my first brew.

It slows down a lot after the first period of vigorous fermentation, it is probably fine.

That said, now I have to slap you on the back of the hand for not treating your yeast right. They are one of the most important ingredients, and often get neglected. A proper starter and good aeration are keys to good fermentation without any off-flavors. Check out this site for an idea of how much is the best amount of yeast to use www.mrmalty.com

Back