Gravity reading questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boicutt

Reaction score
All right so as I'm prepping for bottling and all I now know that it's recommended to check the gravity over a few days to make sure that fermentation is complete.

I've also been reading that the CO2 layer protects the beer. If I'm pulling the sample to check the gravity straight from the carboy, won't that remove the CO2 when I open it up and leave room for oxygen (then eventually oxidization)?

I'm such a newwwwbbb!! Hahhaa thanks all as usual for the help!!

The amount of oxygen that you might introduce will be pretty negligible. It's a lot more important to take the readings instead of rising bottle bombs.

If taking a couple samples was enough to oxidize your beer, we'd all have bad beer.

CO2 is heavier than oxygen so even if there is some shifting around of air in the fermenter and exchange with air from outside the fermenter there should still be a layer of CO2 protecting the beer.

Back