Gravity queston

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Demaskee

Reaction score
Made a Wildflower Honey Mead 14 days ago with Lalvin 71b-1122 yeast. My OG was 1.12. Checked the SG today and got 0.996. The taste is really good. Sorta like a drier moscato if that makes any sense whatsoever.

Anyhow, I plan on backsweetening it a little with fruit and spices after I kill the fermentation. If I am happy with the taste now should I kill the yeast off now, or should I let the process go longer? The airlock still bubbles every 15-20 secs, so I know the yeast is still active.

It may or may not be active right now. 0.996 is pretty low and it could go a little farther but you may just have a lot of dissolved CO2 and it is degassing.

Regardless I would still let it go. No need to rush things because if you like it now then prepare to be amazed after a few months of bulk aging. Mead has drastic changes in flavor over time.

Good Stuff, I'll leave it alone for another week or so. I was really surprised by the SG today. I was mainly checking to see if I needed to add more nutrient, but after seeing where it was at, figured it had to be close to being done.

I'm very excited about this batch. Up until today I had never tried mead in my life and really had no idea what to expect. The LOTH enjoyed it as well :mug:

The plan is to break it down into 1 gallon bottles and add some various fruit and spice flavorings. I thought I was going to back sweeten it, but now I'm not so sure.

I'm now thinking of keeping 2 seperate gallons of straight mead, one back sweetened, the other left alone for comparison. The soonest I'm planning on drinking them is late July.

Latest posts

Back