Gravity question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

myersff

Reaction score
For Xmas my awesome wife got me a beer kit and kegging system. I had received a Mr Beer kit last year and she saw how much I loved it and upgraded me. Anyways on to my questions. Right now I'm brewing Big River Brown Ale and its sitting in the primary fermenter. Plan on moving it to the secondary in two days. After I move it to the secondary I'm trying to figure out when to tell its done. On the side of the box from Midwest supply it gives a fermentation time but also a final gravity reading. Do I wait until the time is up to check the gravity? The one I'm brewing now says 5 weeks but is that suppose to include possible bottling time?sorry for the story and multiple questions. Also is 48 hours long enough in the primary? Thanks everyone!

This can vary depending on several conditions, but the average primary fermentation is 5 to 7 days for ales. You should judge whether fermentation is complete by taking a sample after fermentation activity subsides. 75-80% attenuation is a good number to look for. If this is achieved, then rack to secondary or keg. Cheers!
mark
www.backyardbrewer.blogspot.com

48 hours isn't enough time in primary. You don't necessarily have to secondary, but that's your call. Don't go to secondary until it is done in primary (stable gravity for a few days).

I believe that kit is saying you should be able to drink the beer 5 weeks after brew day, so that includes fermentation and bottle conditioning, yes.

As far as transferring to secondary, 48 hours is not long enough, most folks will leave their beer in primary for 2-3 weeks. A lot of people don't bother transferring to secondary at all any more unless they are dry hopping or adding something like a fruit addition. Bottle conditioning also generally takes 2-3 weeks. Brown ales tend to be a pretty fast turnaround IME, so on the quicker side of things, generally speaking, although they do improve and mellow out a bit with even more time in the bottle.

"Telling when it's done" is something you'll learn to get a feel for, but the most important thing is to learn patience and don't even worry about it for at least 2 weeks.

The standard recommendation is to take a gravity reading at 2-3 weeks in, 2 readings 2 days apart, and if they match, you're ready to bottle. I like to just wait about 3 weeks after brew day, take 1 gravity reading, and if I'm at my expected final gravity, bottle it up. That's just me.

Like so many things, patience is key. Good luck!

You guys rock!! Thanks for the quick reply. I will definitely wait to move to the secondary now. Right now it's in a 6.5 gallon bucket and ill be moving it to a carboy. Then I will be able to brew my Imperial Stout I have. Again thanks, you all are awesome.

I plan on kegging and not bottling. Do you recommend carbing it by leaving it at serving psi for two weeks or bumping it up to 30psi for two days, then bleeding the pressure off and adjusting to serving psi and drinking?

myersff said:
I plan on kegging and not bottling. Do you recommend carbing it by leaving it at serving psi for two weeks or bumping it up to 30psi for two days, then bleeding the pressure off and adjusting to serving psi and drinking?

You are planning on kegging, so would recommend you forget about a secondary carboy and move it right into your keg as soon as fermentation activity subsides. I don't think you stand to gain anything from the secondary carboy.

Back