gravity question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cshort4

Reaction score
Just finished a cream stout. I realize now that I took my gravity ready (3 gals.) before I mixed my final 2 gallons of water.

my reading was 1.102. anyone have a conversion to figure out the reading after the final 2 gallons were added. thanks.

wow quick replies. thanks.

that seems high for a stout extract kit with steeping grains. i will take it

His math works out the same.

His is mixing 3 gallons of 1.102 with 2 gallons of 1.0

so [3 (1.103) +2 (1.0)] / 5

It's the same thing you did, you just subtracted 1 from all your gravities (if that makes sense to you).

that makes sense. with something like that i like to put the (1.0) in there for clarity sake. especially when explaining to someone who doesn't know like me and cshort4.

wow quick replies. thanks.

that seems high for a stout extract kit with steeping grains. i will take it

well according to the BJCP guidelines for a cream stout the max OG is 1.060 but really 1.061 is close a friging 'nough. your FG should be somewhere around 1.024 or so.

wife just called and my airlock blew off. ha. doesn't sound like i have too much of a mess to clean up. should have went with a blow off tube instead.

that some times happens when the fermentation temp gets to warm. any idea what the temp is? keep in mind that during active fermentation the wart is a few degrees higher than the room its in.

Back