Gravity Problem

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scarysnare

Reaction score
I brewed an Extract Imperial nut brown ale, I added enough DME and LME to reach an OG of 1.070 in hopes to get FG at 1.010 and get a 7.8%. It was on the Yeast for 8 days with the last 3 days staying at only a 1.022. Question is should I pitch more yeast to reach my 1.010 ?

DME and LME have a lot of unfermentables at times, depending on what kind (dark or amber, especially) and the brand. If there is additional crystal malt as specialty grains, it could be even higher in unfermentables.

Pitching more yeast won't help at this point, as the issue is probably the level of unfermentables in the beer. It should taste good where it is, and I'd be inclined to let it sit a few more days and then bottle it if it's still at 1.022 and starting to clear up a bit.

Thanks, that makes sense. I now have it in a carboy and was going to leave it there for a few weeks to clear before bottling

Back