Gravity going crazy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I_Brew_Drunk

Reaction score
So I recently made an Anderson Valley Boont Amber Ale clone that I just bottled a few days ago. The OG was 1.046 (was shooting for 1.059, yikes) and when I transferred to secondary it had dropped to 1.014 (recipe calls for it to drop to 1.016 resulting in ~5.7abv) after 2 weeks in secondary I bottled and checked the gravity on my refractometer and it was reading 1.030. I even re-calibrated with water and tried it again with the same exact reading. I don't understand what caused this, and moreover I don't want a beer thats 2.1% abv. Any clue as to what's going on? Is it even possible for gravities to rise during/after fermentation?

Refractometers don't work as well for fermented beer, once alcohol is created during fermentation they will require a few calculations to correct the reading.

While there are conversion tables available for using refractometers once alcohol is present many people report that they are pretty much worthless post fermentation of beer, use a hydrometer:)

Back