Gravity and Heat Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ancient_Hopus

Reaction score
Making a batch of an IPA; OG was 1060; yesterday transferred to my secondary then took a reading.. gravity was 1003???:confused:

Now I took the reading after I transferred it; not before.

and

I don't have temp control yet.. living in a apt. There were a couple of days last week that the apt got up to 85ish..

Am I over thinking.. or did I just waste a batch?

If it got up into the 80's during the first 3-4 days of the fermentation, it's probably going to have some significant off flavors. It sounds like you need to engage in some sort of temp control.

What yeast were you using?

With temperatures that high, the fermentation was probably fast and furious. It might turn out okay, but there is a good chance of some off flavours.

For future batches, look into finding a way to cool it down. All you really need is a large bucket/tub that your primary can fit into. I got one exactly like this for under $15 at my local hardware store.

You can even use a shallow tub just a few inches of water in it as well. Keep a towel over your fermentor like you already have, but with the end of it dipped in the water, and a fan pointed at it. The evaporation of the water from the towel will really help keep the temps down.

Yeast was White Labs 001

Thanks Kepow; I need to "invest" in that.

As for Temp control; my wife and I are buying are first house.. the basement is getting used as my brewing pit.. temp control for sure.

Latest posts

Back