Grapes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikder82

Reaction score
I have King of the North and Swenson's Red grapes. I'm looking for opinions on if I should attempt two separate batches, or should I do a blend? Anybody have any experience with these varietals? Thanks

Do you have enough lbs to do two seperate batches? Will it be a 5 gallon batch. I am fairly new to wines, but if I had two different grape varieties, I would make two seperate batches and then possibly blend them later.

I have more than I know what to do with. My dad planted 30 vines of each about 10 years ago. He's never really taken care of them though as he says there's more money to be made elsewhere. He's an organic vegetable farmer. Long story short, I could probably get 200 lbs each if I wanted to.

Wow. You have enough to try it both ways then. That's what I would do and see what you like most.

This is a question to anyone who picks their own grapes. Will I have any issues using grapes perhaps a few days past their prime? I'd think as long as they don't get hit by frost or mold, they should be fine, but then again...

Its best to pick the grapes and try to keep them cool. You don't want them to get too hot after picking them. I know most people will freeze them which will let them keep for a little while longer and it also helps to break down the grape skins for better processing.

I guess the bigger question to those who pick their own grapes its making sure they are picked at the correct time.

If they stay another month, I could probably make an ice wine. It was 36 here two nights ago.

Latest posts

Back