Grapefruitwein?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IowaState

Reaction score
Is it possible? And would it taste good?

Yes, I'm new and never have done anything like this before, but it sounds good to me.

I would think it would be a lot like fermenting lemon juice. I've never tried it but have heard that it can be done, but it is difficult. Perhaps look for lemon wine advice or hard lemonade, because it might be more common, then try that method with grapefruit.

Thanks for the advice, I'd never heard about anything like a hard grapefruit cider or whatnot. I can find some organic grapefruit juice at my local store and thought it might be a weird thing to try at some point.

I don't know this for a fact but I have been told on this forum that citrus juice (acid) will either inhibit or kill the yeast. I put 7 lemons and 3 limes into a ginger beer and had fermentation problems. Maybe you need a special yeast that can handle the acid or likely you will need a yeast nutrient to add to it first. I would bank that its possible but how to do it and make it taste ok?????

I'm a noob though, I could be totally off base.

I'm a noob too, that's why I'm posting this. But you might be right with the whole "killing of yeast" thing.

Also I don't know how to get it to taste good.

Cool, thanks for posting that. I think I'm going to give it a try with some grapefruit. Or maybe I should just stick to lemonade.

I was thinking of trying this with some of the frozen juices myself. Let me know how it goes. Just make sure theres no preservatives or sorbate i think its called in them.

I'll letcha' know how it goes, and if it's any good or tastes like crap haha. Maybe I'll do a write up with pictures.

Back