Grapefruit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Calder

Reaction score
I have heard that it is not advisable to use citrus juices in beer, so I never have. Does anyone know if there really is a problem, and what the issue is?

I often use the zest of fruit in beers, and just eat the fruit. Not a big deal, but why not use the juice too?

Next up is a Simcoe Pale Ale, and I will be using the zest of grapefruits in it. What problems would I have if I added the juice too? When would be the best time to add the juice, during the boil, at flame out, or in the fermenter?

My wife really likes a grapefruit shandy that a local brewery does- it's a 50:50 mix of their wheat ale and grapefruit juice. She asked me if I could brew something comparable. Problem is- I bottle. My 1st attempt was just a simple 50:50 mix and let it ferment to completion. The result was a way too bitter cloudy mess. So, this year I let the ale go to completion, then added grapefruit juice and dryhopped with Citra, and let it finish. At bottling time I added some grapefruit zest and some xylitol to counteract the bitterness. This worked. Turned out pretty nice.
So long story, but the point is that once you take the sugar out of the grapefruit juice, it's quite bitter and you need to do something to backsweeten.

I have been reading a lot of recipes that call for half an orange or etc. at 5 mins before flameout, unsanitized. Has anyone tried this method with successful results?

I don’t think that using the juice is a no no. One of my favorite beers is DogfishHeads Flesh and Blood. On their can it mentions using both the zest and the juice from lemons, blood oranges and I believe grapefruit as well but not 100% on the grapefruit.

Juice + Zest next time and will see what happens. one or two Grapefruits in a 5 gallon batch will not make much difference.

When should citrus juice be added? In boil, at flame out, or in fermenter? ill any cause a problem?

Back