Grapefruit IPA help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

funkymonkey

Reaction score
Hey All!

I'm gearing up to do a grapefruit IPA, I understand that Simcoe and Cascade give some nice grapefruit notes but I'm looking to do more. Should I rack to a secondary and add some grapefruit peel and squeezed juice?

I just opened my first bottle of an "amber" IPA and took a sniff and it smelled just like grapefruit due to a 5 min addition of 2 ounces of cascade. I can't speak to adding a grapefruit taste but man it smells just like grapefruit. I also used 2 oz of cascade for bittering but I doubt that had any effect.

I use the Experimental Grapefruit hops for bittering then dry hop w/ Mosaic
I then make a "tea" w/ pink grapefruit zest and add 2 cups per 6 gal at kegging.
I've brewed this three times in the last year. Can't seem to keep it on tap!

Hey All!

I'm gearing up to do a grapefruit IPA, I understand that Simcoe and Cascade give some nice grapefruit notes but I'm looking to do more. Should I rack to a secondary and add some grapefruit peel and squeezed juice?

CTZ will give you a nice White Grapefruit taste if you use it as a First Wort Hop. If you want more of the zest bitterness, then I would get grapefruit peel and add it the last 5 minutes of the boil. I would stay away from adding the fruit directly or in secondary.

Comet is sometime hard to find but a fantastic grapefruit hop. It has more of a zest than juice aroma, to me.

Comet remains me more of pineapple, it also has quite a dank quality to it.

I've found that the spiciness of rye adds an element reminiscent of zest in an APA/IPA. That's a pretty simple addition that'll give you some extra bang!

Just kegged a zest beer for a homebrew festival here in Asheville. I zested 2 lemons, one line, and one grapefruit (along with some juice), added at the end of boil with one ounce of Citra and one ounce of Cascade. Really happy with how it turned out.

Back