Citrus Peel on larger scale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rob2010SS

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hey everyone. Doing a citrus wheat on sunday. I have 1lb of each grapefruit peel, lemon peel, and sweet orange peel. We've used citrus peel before on smaller scale but haven't done it on our 1bbl batches yet. I was going to scale the recommended usage rates for 5 gallons up to the 1bbl batch but after doing some reading on ProBrewer, it sounds as though that won't work well and might be too much.

So, anyone have experience with citrus peels on a 1bbl batch? Looking for assistance on usage rates.

Thanks.

I was going to scale the recommended usage rates for 5 gallons up to the 1bbl batch but after doing some reading on ProBrewer, it sounds as though that won't work well and might be too much.

Did they say why it might be too much? I have scaled orange zest linearly from homebrew to comm'l batches, and it seemed to make the same beer.

The only reason I can think of that it might not scale linearly would be a system with very slow cooling of wort, increasing the hot contact time, which might draw more stuff out of thick-ish peels.

Did they say why it might be too much? I have scaled orange zest linearly from homebrew to comm'l batches, and it seemed to make the same beer.

The only reason I can think of that it might not scale linearly would be a system with very slow cooling of wort, increasing the hot contact time, which might draw more stuff out of thick-ish peels.
Surprisingly, there's not a ton of info on that forum. I still prefer this forum. But from what I gather, the people who gave any kind of info on that, was that it was just too strong of a flavor and pulled out a lot of bitterness, with the grapefruit specifically.

The numbers I saw there ranged from 4oz/bbl to 16oz/bbl.

I was initially going to do a pound of lemon and a pound of grapefruit. Although I had a brainfart so I ordered a pound of orange as well. So now I have all of those.

Was thinking of doing a ratio of the three, mixing them together and doing a mixed pound at flameout and a mixed pound at 170 in the whirlpool, but without holding the WP at that temp, was just going to keep on chilling.

Back