Grapefruit Ginger Cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Poetaytoe

Reaction score
Ingredients:

• 3g Unfiltered Apple Cider (365 Brand)
  • 1c brown sugar
  • 1T yeast nutrient
  • 1oz Amarillo hops
  • S-04 yeast
  • 1c ginger tea
  • 3 cans apple juice concentrate

Directions:
  1. Add apple juice, brown sugar, yeast, yeast nutrient, and hops to fermenter
  2. After 4 weeks cold crash and rack into bottling bucket
  3. Add 1c ginger tea and apple juice concentrate
  4. Mix thoroughly
  5. Bottle
  6. Pasteurizer after bottles have carb'd (test daily if using glass and there's a guide on here somewhere for how to do it)
  7. Enjoy!

Ginger Tea Directions:

1. Bring 1.5c of water to a boil
  2. Add 3.5oz fresh ginger (peeled and sliced)
  3. Simmer for 10 mins
  4. Strain out solids

Notes:

I think the grapefruit flavor is a bit much, but everyone who's tried it can't get enough. Even people who don't like cider would only go back for more of these after they tried one. Next time I'm going to reduce the time the hops are in the primary to maybe 4-5 days. The strong grapefruit flavor made the ginger a bit more subtle than I was originally planning.

The final color comes out very murky looking, and could probably be clarified more with gelatin. I have several vegans who drink my brews so it's not an option for me, but I would if I didn't have that restriction.

This tasted great both still and carbed, so if you're not up for pasteurizing, then you can try it still.

Where did the grapefruit flavor come from? I don't see any grapefruit in the ingredients. Is it just from the Amarillo hops?

Yes, the Amarillo gave it a strong grapefruit flavor.

Thanks for the recipe. I used this as a base. I did a 2.5 gallon recipe and omitted the ginger tea. I kegged the cider and back sweetened it with 2 cups apple juice with 1/2 organic sugar (I didn't use brown sugar for the recipe at all). I used 1 oz Amarillo whole hops. No secondary with this. 8 days primary, put the hips on top and dry hope for eight days.
The result was awesome. Semi dry. I find Amarillo as more of a tangerine flavor rather than grapefruit.
Thanks again!

Thanks for the recipe. I used this as a base. I did a 2.5 gallon recipe and omitted the ginger tea. I kegged the cider and back sweetened it with 2 cups apple juice with 1/2 organic sugar (I didn't use brown sugar for the recipe at all). I used 1 oz Amarillo whole hops. No secondary with this. 8 days primary, put the hips on top and dry hope for eight days.
The result was awesome. Semi dry. I find Amarillo as more of a tangerine flavor rather than grapefruit.
Thanks again!

Did the hops add any bitterness to the cider, or just the grapefruit flavor?

Back