Grape Grinder for Apples

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CodyT

Reaction score
upload_2018-7-4_0-18-48.png

I found this grape grinder on Kijiji for $75 CAD. Is it a good deal? Can this be used to grind apples for cider?

Let me know what you think

Use a plywood block to add some reinforce and replace the crank handle with a pulley. Add an electric motor and your good to go.

I have one that looks like BILTIT's eco-worthy (from ebay) but it has much larger teeth than the one in your pic. Even after quartering the apples it grinds them into quite large pieces 1/4-1/2 inch (around 1cm) so the juice yield when pressing isn't all that great... only 40%-50%. I resorted to putting the resulting pulp in a bucket then smashing it with a pickaxe handle, the "old fashioned way" in order to get more juice.

With the finer teeth yours looks ideal for apples. Jolicoeur suggests that the pulp should be 3mm or about 1/8 inch, and based on my experience I agree with him. Certainly worth a try at $75.

I plan to make a motorised model for next year, more or less based on Jolicoeur's design, probably rotating at around 5-10 RPM so if anyone has comments about this speed I would be pleased to hear them. Might be useful for you if you decide to motorise.

I have never had issues juicing apples with mine but I guess it depends on the ripeness of the apples. Mine are pretty soft and juicy when I crush them. Let us know what motor you use, I am looking at motorising also but cannot find an easy way to spin that slow. 60rpm is too much, that i know.

I have one that looks like BILTIT's eco-worthy (from ebay) but it has much larger teeth than the one in your pic. Even after quartering the apples it grinds them into quite large pieces 1/4-1/2 inch (around 1cm) so the juice yield when pressing isn't all that great... only 40%-50%. I resorted to putting the resulting pulp in a bucket then smashing it with a pickaxe handle, the "old fashioned way" in order to get more juice.

With the finer teeth yours looks ideal for apples. Jolicoeur suggests that the pulp should be 3mm or about 1/8 inch, and based on my experience I agree with him. Certainly worth a try at $75.

I plan to make a motorised model for next year, more or less based on Jolicoeur's design, probably rotating at around 5-10 RPM so if anyone has comments about this speed I would be pleased to hear them. Might be useful for you if you decide to motorise.

I think I'm going to go ahead and buy it. I like the idea of adding a motor to it. I imagine it will take a lot of cranking manually.

I'm with BILTIT, let us know if you find a good solution.

motorized crank.JPG

I wanted to try and get this one, but the guy on Kijiji said someone had already spoken for it.

Anyone recognize the motor?

I'm going to shoot him a message and ask where he got it.

This is the exact one I have.

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B01HI6RAD8/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

The problem with motorizing is they turn too fast. You need Down around 10 rpm I think and the pulleys required makes it unfeasible to do with standard ac motors. If you turn too fast the apples just spin and skip above the blades. You could build up the hopper and use a stick to push them in.

I had thought about making a wood block that will touch the hopper sides before the blades and spin it fast, brute force. Turning by hand, slower worked better.

Last edited by a moderator:
BILTIT that setup looks amazing! I’m looking forward to the first harvest this fall

The grinder was the most expensive part. I built the stand for it and the juice press. I copied the juicepress design from whizbang juice press on youtube. Made a small change to the hydraulic jack but thats all, works really well.

I wanted to go with a garberator grinder but some mixed reviews on if its best or not so i decided to try this one out. I think it will work great once i get it motorized.

So I ended up getting the one in from the original post. Didn't work super great, might try doing some further adjustments but I'm not holding out much hope. What are other affordable options people use?

My cheap "Plan B" option as I suggested above is to make something similar to Jolicoeur's design, using timber but with PVC plumbing pipe (about 4" dia) over round timber with raised SS screws for the scratter. Maybe even a SS panel instead of timber for the apples to be pressed against. The idea is to make it easy to clean.

The whole idea shouldn't cost more than $100 (less if I use HDPE for the shaft bearings, which should be O.K. if I manually crank it). Maybe a few bucks more for proper bearings if I decide to motorise it.

Apart from Jolicoeur's design, there are plenty of alternatives on Google. It depends on your volume. I tend to make 1 gallon batches a few weeks apart, depending on what apples are ripening, so spending a bit of time hand cranking isn't a big issue. If I get tired and thirsty, there is always last year's cider maturing away to help!

Codyt,
Did you motorize it?

You can add a piece of plywood with a handle over the top of the hopper to put a little downpressure on the apples.

In using it, what seemed to be the problem?

Mine is homemade (not by me!). The scratter has nails/screws in it, turned by a wheel and it has a "push down" top. I've seen the plans for sale, but I found this at a rummage sale for $100 about 6 years ago. I use it for all sorts of fruits for wine/cider- but small fruits like chokecherries fall through so I need plum size or larger.
DSCN1600.JPG
DSCN1604.JPG
DSCN1608.JPG

Mine is homemade (not by me!). The scratter has nails/screws in it, turned by a wheel and it has a "push down" top. I've seen the plans for sale, but I found this at a rummage sale for $100 about 6 years ago. I use it for all sorts of fruits for wine/cider- but small fruits like chokecherries fall through so I need plum size or larger. View attachment 581510 View attachment 581511 View attachment 581512
That is an exact copy of the one I inherited from my grandfather that I now have electrified with a pulley on the grinder

Back