Grape Concentrate Wine Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kevinstan

Reaction score
I started 2 one gallon batches of frozen grape concentrate almost 2 weeks ago. Both airlocks have slowed down almost to a stop. One has completely stopped. One of the batches was 3 cans of concentrate and 3 cups of sugar, and the other is 2 cans of concentrate and 2 cups of sugar. Since the one has completely stopped should I rack it and let it sit longer? Or is it completely done fermenting and ready ? 2 weeks seems quick. The recipe said 4 weeks ? Should I rack into clean 1 gallons and let them sit again with an airlock for a few more weeks ? The wine doesn't seem very clear right now either.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank everyone in advance.

I guess that is my first step. I will get a SG reading and see where I am at. Is it ok without pushing c02 though ?

I guess that is my first step. I will get a SG reading and see where I am at. Is it ok without pushing c02 though ?

I'm not sure what you're asking, but you can rack the wine if you have a ton of lees, and top up and put the airlock back on. It sounds done, or at least close to it. I'd let it sit until no new lees drop after 45 days before bottling.

Do not get in habit of judging fermentation status based on airlock activity. I have made plenty of batches that do not yield noticeable airlock activty. A hydrometer should always be your judge and jury. As far as CO2, you should have plenty of CO3 layering intact at this stage. Two weeks post pitching of yeast it is quite common to be at the dry mark, or at least 2/3 sugar depletion...assuming you have a healthy ferment.

So it's normal at this stage to see little to no airlock activity ? I checked SG and it is at 1.030 - started at 1.090. I am worried nothing is going on since I see no activity like I did for the first couple of weeks with it bubbling hard. I want to make sure nothing bad is happening and my wine is still going strong.

So it's normal at this stage to see little to no airlock activity ? I checked SG and it is at 1.030 - started at 1.090. I am worried nothing is going on since I see no activity like I did for the first couple of weeks with it bubbling hard. I want to make sure nothing bad is happening and my wine is still going strong.

Did you check it with a calibrated hydrometer? That IS high for this far along in the fermentation, but if you used a refractometer that would make sense (as they don't give accurate readings when alcohol is in the mix).

No refractometer. Just standard hydrometer. Now you have me scared. What can I do ? This was the one that is 1 gallon and I used 3 cans concentrate and 3 cups of sugar along with a whole pack of yeast. I think I should have only used a half pack of yeast. ???? Any advice ??

No refractometer. Just standard hydrometer. Now you have me scared. What can I do ? This was the one that is 1 gallon and I used 3 cans concentrate and 3 cups of sugar along with a whole pack of yeast. I think I should have only used a half pack of yeast. ???? Any advice ??

No, you definitely use a whole package of yeast. Wait and see what happens. Keep it in a warm place, and check it in about a week. You can gently shake the fermenter to rouse any suspended yeast, but not too much as there are billions of yeast in suspension already and you don't really need to do much. But if it got cool, some gentle rousing will help.

Yooper said:
No, you definitely use a whole package of yeast. Wait and see what happens. Keep it in a warm place, and check it in about a week. You can gently shake the fermenter to rouse any suspended yeast, but not too much as there are billions of yeast in suspension already and you don't really need to do much. But if it got cool, some gentle rousing will help.

Be careful shaking it, maybe take some out. Otherwise you could end up with a foamy volcano!

Back