Grainy Flavor in 2 ciders?!?! HELP ME OUT!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlainD

Reaction score
I bottled a cider fermented with White Labs Dry English Cider yeast, Simply Apple and some blue berry juice three weeks ago. It had a strange grain sort of taste. I figured it was probably something weird with the blue berry juice and I'd just let it age and see what happens. In to the cold crash refrigerator went another bucket of cider made with Red Star Champagne yeast Super Cheap Wal-Mart brand juice, honey, lemon peel, and rose petals (boiled the petals and lemon peel). I smelled it when it went into the fridge and it smelled awesome. Tonight I take a taste of the cider and GRAIN! Took a gravity reading, it's at 1.001? What's going on? I don't think it's an infection seeing as they are two different batches with two different sets of equipment made on two separate days. Don't think it's the yeast, two different types. During the bulk of fermentation they were both kept around 72 degrees. After two weeks or so I pull them into a warmer spot to clean up.

Does anyone know what's going on?

Oh I stuck one of the Blue Berry ciders in the refrigerator tonight. I hope it's better now. I'm currently debating whether I want to bottle this cider or not. I've only got about 6 dollars tied up in the batch (two gallon).

Very odd. Do you mean it tastes like barley, wheat etc or is it more of a mouthfeel and aroma? (like your mind telling you it tastes like grain when it's more of a baked bread yeast thing)

I don't know if I've heard of an infection that tastes like grain before, but if it's consistent from both batches with completely different ingredients, it's possible. What are you using to sanitize your equipment?

Latest posts

Back