Grains in an IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tbone

Reaction score
I am looking to put together my own recipe for an IPA and was looking for a guide to determine what percentage of certain malts to use. I will be using Pale Ale Malt as my base malt and then a percentage of either Munich or Amber. For head stability and mouthfeel I am either using CaraPils or Caramel 10L. What percentage of each is traditionally used for an IPA? And if you would, what results can be expected from lowering or raising the percentages? Thanks

This should help...

makingbetterhoppybeer.jpg

Are you making an American style IPA or an English one?

Within each you will find a range of possibilites in terms of color, flavor, aroma, etc.

Think about what commercial examples you have enjoyed. When you picture an IPA what does it look/taste/smell/ feel like. That is the best place to begin. Then ask questions to get you to your ideal.

Have you checked out the bjcp guidelines to start?

Thanks to both. zero, you are right. I need to think a bit more about this. I have made several AG IPAs and a PM - all Dogfish Head clones and have a Stone IPA Clone in the fermenter at this time. I don't believe that I have tasted an English IPA but I am assuming that using English hops (EKG, etc) and English yeast would create most of the difference. I need to get a hold of a good English IPA that is available in the states and compare.

Back