Grains for IIPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mbischoff

Reaction score
Question.... My homebrew shop brew master and I concocted an experiment for an imperial IPA and I was hoping to get some opinions from those of you who have used a lot of German grains. Here is the mash.

-13 Pounds of German Pale Malt
-1 Pound of Light German Munich
-1 Pound of German Carared (20L)
-.5 pound of Caramunich (35L)

My intent is to hop this up on a 90 minute boil as follows:
-1 oz. Horizon (13 AAU) 60 Minutes
-.5 oz. Summit (14 AAU) 30 Minutes
-.5 oz. Summit (14 AAU) 15 Minutes
-.5 oz. Horizon (13 AAU) 5 Minutes
-1 oz. Summit (14 AAU) Dry Hop
-1 oz. Simcoe (12 AAU) Dry Hop

2 Questions... Will the German malts totally throw this beer out of whack from an IIPA perspective? Meaning, will the judges kill me in competition? Secondly, if I siphon on top of an existing very hoppy APA yeast cake (Wyeast), and pitch a vial of Wyeast 1056, will that give me enough yeast cells to get the fermentation out of the malts?

1. Is it German pils malt? Well, anyway, it should not make a difference. Barely noticeable.

2. Just use the yeast cake. That is plenty of yeast.

+1 on just using the yeast cake. It will take off like a rocket and be sure to use a blow off hose!

So, there is no need to add the other yeast? I was told by a guy in my club that it would be vital since this will be a +7.5% beer. But he also is big on quick fermentations (2-3 days). I will just use the yeast cake and see how it goes. I can always toss in more yeast if the gravity does not come down enough, right?

Back