Grainfather!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well mine is at the shop going to pick it up and brew today at the shop cannot wait. While I was at the shop the distributor for the Grainfather company showed up and got to talk to him I brought up the pump issues that have been going on here. I did not get an answer but was assured of the the support which I already knew from here.
Nice guy and the Glycol Cooler has been pushed back a bit for the conical fermenter not sure how long.

Happy Easter!!

About to do my first brew on the grainfather. I’m going to use 6oz of hops without a bag or spider. Am I just asking for a clogged pump or do folks tend to get away with putting pellet hops straight in the boil?

I've gotten away with up to 7 oz of pellets several times with no problems. Pumping through the chiller is definitely slower but no stoppages. Only stoppages I have ad were plugs of grains and husks at the check valve ball and spring on the riser pipe, but that was the first place I looked and easily fixed. Have fun.

First brew in my new Grainfather a Wit beer second time making this recipe everyone loved it so wife said we needed another batch hey who am I to argue LOL. Have another for tomorrow my own recipe called Diablo Red.

Attachments

• 20180330_162217.jpg
    20180330_162217.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 162
I think I’ve used as much as 10oz. I’ll
never use a hop spider or bag, you get less utilization. The hops actually act as a secondary filter. Just recirculate back into the Grainfather for 10 minutes or so and then into the FV. It will keep less Trub out of the FV

I think I’ve used as much as 10oz. I’ll
never use a hop spider or bag, you get less utilization. The hops actually act as a secondary filter. Just recirculate back into the Grainfather for 10 minutes or so and then into the FV. It will keep less Trub out of the FV

That’s what I was thinking. I want good utilization. I like hops [emoji849]

Is ten minutes of boiling wort hard on the pump though?

Hey guy's got a question. I'm going to start brewing with the Grainfather and I'll be using a small utility room to brew in. Am I going to need some type of ceiling exhaust fan or some type of small window fan to pull steam out? This room will probably be my brew room for a while.. Thanks

Simple answer: Yes.

The long answer. I have mine in a small room under the house, and it puts out quite a bit of steam during the boil. I have a medium size vent fan just above where I brew, and while it doesn't put out as much steam as my three vessel herms system, it's enough to have to use the fan to pull the moisture out.

I currently brew in my basement with no exhaust or anything. Still trying to figure out my best option. I might just get a dehumidifier for now.

I'm thinking about a dual fan window unit as the Grainfather will be only about three feet from the fan. Or a ceiling fan with some flex duct to go to the window . Thanks for the advice.

Last edited:
I haven't had to use anything yet. In the winter I like the moisture. In the summer I might just keep a window open or something.

My first indoor GF brew was in my laundry room during the winter... about a 10x10 room. That got quite steamy - but luckily I have a window in that room I cracked open. So - my suggestion - yes you will want to have some way to get that steamy air out of the room

Now, I brew in my basement in a back room. I installed a 110cfm exhaust fan in there, and on top of that my basement dehumidifier sits back there. When I brew I run the fan... I have never seen the dehumidifier run at the same time.

I used to use a robobrew in an even smaller utility room with no ventilation. Did 5 brews in there before it broke. It was steamy but no mold or anything. It was fine. I used the grainfather today for the first time in the kitchen and just opened the window, no fan or anything. Doesn’t seem to be a problem.

I used to use a robobrew in an even smaller utility room with no ventilation. Did 5 brews in there before it broke. It was steamy but no mold or anything. It was fine. I used the grainfather today for the first time in the kitchen and just opened the window, no fan or anything. Doesn’t seem to be a problem.
How'd the brew day go for you?

How'd the brew day go for you?

It was great man! Definitely noticed the little things that make this machine good. Just enough on overdrive to relax and have a home brew but also hands on enough to satisfy a brewer. The chiller was great coming from an immersion chiller. Connect was a great experience, too. Also just feels more organized and more solid than the robobrew.

Everything working out with the new machine they sent you?

It was great man! Definitely noticed the little things that make this machine good. Just enough on overdrive to relax and have a home brew but also hands on enough to satisfy a brewer. The chiller was great coming from an immersion chiller. Connect was a great experience, too. Also just feels more organized and more solid than the robobrew.

Everything working out with the new machine they sent you?
Glad to hear!

As for mine, all is good except had to replace the pump. Loving the Bluetooth though.

Ugh forgot my filter for my Grainfather at the shop, well brewing anyway lol have a filter bag and only about 2 oz of hops so on we go with the Diablo Red brew day took the ball and spring out. So far so good working on coming up to temp on my boil.
It's Red taste good before hops.

Attachments

• 20180401_150153.jpg
    20180401_150153.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 168
  • 20180401_150203.jpg
    20180401_150203.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 179
Hey guy's, Does the connect unit have instructions for changing the hysterosis to 1? I think I read that by default it is set on two. I'm thinking about changing it. Thanks

I'm pretty sure it does. I believe I have a documented procedure for programming if I can find it. Let me look.

Edit: I found the document I was looking for and it was for the original GF controller, not the connect. Sorry. You can probably contact GF and get that from Support.

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure it does. I believe I have a documented procedure for programming if I can find it. Let me look.

Edit: I found the document I was looking for and it was for the original GF controller, not the connect. Sorry. You can probably contact GF and get that from Support.

Thank's bigtex

There's a way, but just maybe not a way to change it by the average consumer. I rarely see over 1 degree differential from the set point. Do you have a Graincoat on your unit or some other insulating method like Reflectix? If not, I would highly advise you to consider that as it made a very noticeable difference when I added it to mine.

View attachment 563896

Here's what Grainfather said:

Hi Steve,

Thank you very much for your email and sorry to hear of the issues that you are experiencing. Can you please try the following to see if this helps:

1. Fill the Grainfather with water and turn the pump on for 5 seconds and off for 5 seconds. Repeat 4-5 times.
2. Use a hose to blow water down the recirculation pipe. If there is an airlock, this should clear the pipe.
3. Unscrew the safety valve at the top of the recirculation pipe carefully and remove the ball and spring, check the spring for any debris. If the spring is clear of debris, reattach the valve without the spring and attempt to run water through the system without the spring in place, does the pump work?
4 If none of the above works please empty your Grainfather and dismantle the pump and check for any loose components as well as checking that the impeller o-ring is in place, then reassemble the pump. This simply requires undoing a few screws and will not have an effect on your warranty. I have attached an image to this email to show the dismantled pump.

It would also be helpful if you could answer these questions:
• Serial Number
• What was the wort temperature when you turned on the pump?
• How long has it been running fine for before failing (i.e. xx minutes)?
• Could you please take some photos of the pump’s rotor in different views so that we can see each side of the rotor?

I look forward to hearing from you.

Kind Regards​

They sent some pictures, but it wasn't clear what I was supposed to be looking for: a damaged O-ring? scorching? My pump has a green housing.

They sent me the same exact email last night. I emailed a bunch of pictures this morning.

Well, after I provided the pictures and my impression that the pump was out of round from the factory, they got back to me, asking if I was "comfortable" swapping the defective pump out for the known good one on the boiler they already replaced. I let them off the hook, since they had already done the right thing, and were already out a considerable expense to make the previous failure right. I may try to buy a replacement pump to rehabilitate the old boiler.

So I've always had a problem with the chiller, it always get blocked immediately. I usually get it going eventually, but today was different. I just couldn't get the wort to run through it. I decided to get my air compressor and blow some air through it. It worked great, lots of hop material came out. And also that thing you see in the pics. Anyone know if this is part of the chiller, like a spring or something? Or is it a rogue piece of metal that shouldn't be there? I guess this has been the cause of my problems all along.
20180408_151056.jpg
20180408_151220.jpg

Mill chips tend to be little 6s or 9s, account of an interrupted cut. Lathes cut continuously, and depending on toughness of material and tool geometry, often produce tight continuous coils like these. I could dig some of each out of my work boots if you like. [emoji4]

Got a question, Does the graincoat work better than the reflectix? I found the graincoat for a good price. $47.48 includes s&h to my front door. Or should I wait for a better sale?

Got a question, Does the graincoat work better than the reflectix? I found the graincoat for a good price. $47.48 includes s&h to my front door. Or should I wait for a better sale?
Hi. With two layers of Reflectix, I think they work about the same. As @elreplica once said: "I have the reflectix and imagine it's just as good as the jacket. However I have the jacket cuz it looks cool and figured I'd put a tuxedo on it..." and I agree wholeheartedly. It looks and works great. Hope this helps. Ed
:mug:

Hi. With two layers of Reflectix, I think they work about the same. As @elreplica once said: "I have the reflectix and imagine it's just as good as the jacket. However I have the jacket cuz it looks cool and figured I'd put a tuxedo on it..." and I agree wholeheartedly. It looks and works great. Hope this helps. Ed
:mug:

Yup...I think if I’m investing more than a grand for this piece of kit, it may as well look good lol.

Yay upgraded to a grainfather I found on Craigslist! First brew this week or next.

I’ve done lots of BIAB with good success. Couple simple questions I haven’t been able to find a direct answer to:
1. Is it safe to use PBW And Star san on everthing? Including pump and chiller
2. How should I set up the equipment profile on brewers friend?
3. Should I sell my current plate chiller? is the CFC gonna last and be easy to clean?

Back