Grainfather!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Has anyone else had an issue with their Grainfather having the support ring slipping down into the boiler when attempting to lock the grain basket for sparging? I have done quite a few brews with mine but the last 3 or so I have had the ring slip out of the groove it fits into. Yesterday's was the worst. The grain basket made a huge splash of very hot wort over the floor and me. Ouch. It was only about a quart or so but still painful. Should I just try to replace the ring (which I'm not even sure is possible) or is there some other cause I'm missing?

I had to check the instruction booklet to see what you meant by "locking" the grain basket. Sure enough, they mention locking it, but they don't say how that is done. I simply followed the instruction to lift the basket and turn it so the tabs rest on top of the ring, and left it at that.

I looked at mine and didn't see a way it could lock, so I'm wondering what it is you're doing when you're trying to lock it.

Has anyone else had an issue with their Grainfather having the support ring slipping down into the boiler when attempting to lock the grain basket for sparging? I have done quite a few brews with mine but the last 3 or so I have had the ring slip out of the groove it fits into. Yesterday's was the worst. The grain basket made a huge splash of very hot wort over the floor and me. Ouch. It was only about a quart or so but still painful. Should I just try to replace the ring (which I'm not even sure is possible) or is there some other cause I'm missing?
I agree with above poster, not sure about "locking". I just set mine on that upper ring. I pull the ring out after every brew to clean and dry well. If this were to happen to me, I'd stretch the ring apart. It should be larger than the diameter of the boiler and "clicks" into place firmly when installed in the groove in boiler. Sounds like yours isn't doing that. Try stretching apart a bit. I've brewed many batches over a year now without issue. Good luck

I agree with above poster, not sure about "locking". I just set mine on that upper ring. I pull the ring out after every brew to clean and dry well. If this were to happen to me, I'd stretch the ring apart. It should be larger than the diameter of the boiler and "clicks" into place firmly when installed in the groove in boiler. Sounds like yours isn't doing that. Try stretching apart a bit. I've brewed many batches over a year now without issue. Good luck

Sorry for the misunderstanding. I was just reading from the instruction booklet and trying to be as accurate as possible, but yeah all I meant was setting the grain basket on top of the ring. I thought about stretching it but wasn't sure if that would do anything. Will give it a try, thanks.

AIH changed the wording on the connect box :\ No longer early feb.

We are never getting these stupid things are we.

has anyone ordered direct from GF and received theirs ( in US)? I am about to cancel my order and reorder from them if so. My controller just broke yesterday and I can't wait another month.

has anyone ordered direct from GF and received theirs ( in US)? I am about to cancel my order and reorder from them if so. My controller just broke yesterday and I can't wait another month.

I was on the grainfather website today and I couldn't find the connect controller in their store.

The page has been down for over a week on GF site. I think they are out of stock there too. Why are we having such trouble getting them? It's not like it's new. EU has had them for months now.

No point cancelling your order

I ordered direct from GF on 1/19 and received it few days later.

Yes. Ordered mine on Jan. 18th from the Grainfather store. Received it on Jan. 25th, brewed with it on Jan. 27th.

(It's all a few pages back, have to find it among all the bickering)

How do you use a SS hop spider in the Grainfather? The level of my wort would only allow about an inch or two of the hop spider to be submerged. I have been using paint filter bags, but have the SS spider, that I would prefer to utilize. Thought about hanging it down, suspended by a wire, but don't want it flopping around when I stir. Anyway, if you have it figured out, please share how you use it. Thanks.

How do you use a SS hop spider in the Grainfather? The level of my wort would only allow about an inch or two of the hop spider to be submerged. I have been using paint filter bags, but have the SS spider, that I would prefer to utilize. Thought about hanging it down, suspended by a wire, but don't want it flopping around when I stir. Anyway, if you have it figured out, please share how you use it. Thanks.
Hi. I made an "S" hook from 1/8" x 1" x 8" AL flat stock that's about 6 inches long (from hook to hook.) One "hook" goes over the edge of the GF, the other under the cross bar of the hop basket. It holds the basket firmly up against the side, so it doesn't flop around when I stir. I'm on the road this week, but will get you a picture when I get home.
Ed
:mug:

I've been having issues with my unit not using the full strength heater. The last two brews when I turn it on and put it to "Normal" it heats EXTREMELY slowly in the 80's to 120's. I have hit the reset button on the bottom of the grainfather (its more like a reset button on a surge protector, just kind of bounces around). I have tried different outlets. Nothing seems to make it go into full heater mode until it randomly decides to kick into high gear, then it is problem free the rest of the brew cycle. But this scares me as what if it fails half way through?

Anyone have this issue or any solutions?

Mine looks like this and hangs off the side. If you don't have a hook, you could easily bend one up and attach it with stainless or brass wire.View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1486576637.671706.jpg

Hi. I made an "S" hook from 1/8" x 1" x 8" AL flat stock that's about 6 inches long (from hook to hook.) One "hook" goes over the edge of the GF, the other under the cross bar of the hop basket. It holds the basket firmly up against the side, so it doesn't flop around when I stir. I'm on the road this week, but will get you a picture when I get home.
Ed

That is a great idea, I will try that. Thanks.

How is that? They're already landed in the US via port of New York...they're claiming mid-late Feb. in Canada so...where the hell are you in the US?

considering it used to say first 1-2 weeks in feb now its bumped almost a month later? middle of the US. Just annoying that its been delayed yet again.

considering it used to say first 1-2 weeks in feb now its bumped almost a month later? middle of the US. Just annoying that its been delayed yet again.

I agree. Had I known that, I would've bought mine directly from Grainfather and not had to wait 2 months to get it. Very frustrating to say the least.

Yeah I see MI now and remember what a "skraeling" was doing there...we own "skraelings" here in eastern Canada. Our Connects are supposed to be here mid to end of this month. Initially here by Christmas but that went for a piss...

Got an email from AIH on the issue.

Hello,

The purpose of this E-mail is to update you on the status of your Pre-Order of the Grain Father Connect controller. We have been passed along information from the vendor, that the controllers are currently in transit from Grain Fathers facility in New Zealand and have been delayed and will be available for shipments sometime in Early March. We had gotten earlier information letting us know the units would be available the beginning of February, but that information turned out to be incorrect.

We do apologize for the delay. We expect these to be a really nice upgrade to the Grain Father system that has been making a lot of headway in the U.S. Since their release, so we understand the anticipation and wanted to keep anyone with an order updated on the progress.

If you do have any questions or concerns about a pending Pre-Order you have in with us. Feel free to send over a separate E-mail with your information, or shoot us a quick call at 313-277-2739 Ext 1 for internet sales, and we'd be glad to help out, and answer any questions.

Cheers!

speaking of the filter, IMO it needs to be bigger. So much trub gets stuck to that baby when your pumping to the chiller.

My GF came in a bit banged up and used strictly the email address to handle all issues, which they did. Took a good week plus to get things sorted out but finally did. It takes a little patience with the time difference, GF replies would usually hit me about 9 or 10 pm central time. All worked out well for me anyway.

I'm happy to report that I received a replacement Connect box for one that arrived dead on arrival a couple of weeks ago. You are right about the time differences slowing things up a bit, but iMake came through. The new one fires up, pairs with my Android phone, and seems to be working as advertised. I have not yet tried to download a recipe to it, but will try to do so tomorrow. In short, I am very pleased with customer support.

I'm happy to report that I received a replacement Connect box for one that arrived dead on arrival a couple of weeks ago. You are right about the time differences slowing things up a bit, but iMake came through. The new one fires up, pairs with my Android phone, and seems to be working as advertised. I have not yet tried to download a recipe to it, but will try to do so tomorrow. In short, I am very pleased with customer support.

Meanwhile the rest of us are still waiting to even get our first ones :drunk:

Hopefully the android app works by the time AIH ships. Otherwise I'll need to confiscate one of my kids iphones.

Finally got around to ordering the new Grainfather Connect. Excited to kick off All-Grain brewing with this system.

Got the Sparge Water heater and a Mangrove Jacks grain kit for the Helles Lager as well, all up AUD$1,476 delivered

speaking of the filter, IMO it needs to be bigger. So much trub gets stuck to that baby when your pumping to the chiller.

This has long been my largest complaint with the grainfather... the filter is TINY and clogs very easily and actually lets a lot through still that clogs up the pump. While I've managed to get through all my brews, a few have been close calls because of filter/pump issues.

I would definitely prefer that other unit posted previously with the false bottom, ball valve spiggot and immersion chiller. Just a lot safer all-around.

I wish they'd make the chiller hug the entire wall of the unit as a circle and wrap all the way around. Or at least extend it 50-100% longer with slightly tinier holes but more of them. Anything would help.

id rather see just a larger tube, mainly because i dont like a false bottom when im boiling because it seems the boil acts strange.

what i might install is a little basket strainer on the suction side of the pump that you can valve off and clean as you go. Because right now after the mash you have no idea how much grain is stuck in that filter.

I definitely notice a LOT of extra gain bits remain after mashing. My best method to combat this is to use a jumbo strainer and strain out as much as possible right after sparging. But as you said we have no idea how much of that is clogging our filter already. I'll sometimes try and "rub" the filter clean with a long thin plastic paddle... but then I risk knocking the filter off entirely which necessitates draining at least half the liquid and reaching in with long silicon gloves to re-attach it.... not a fun or efficient process at all.

So has anyone tried a graincoat + reflectix inner liner?

So the graincoat does help.. a lot. However I wonder if maybe doing a reflective barrier on the inside of it might not make things even better. Yeah it boils, but anything I can do to help things along quicker might be worth a shot yeah?

Granted this is overkill and totally not needed, I however need to stop by lowes today anyway and pick up some faucet hole plugs for my sink. reflectix being only what 20bucks for a roll might, be worth picking some up just to try it out.

insulation + reflective barrier = win?

or possibly a melty mess

So the graincoat does help.. a lot. However I wonder if maybe doing a reflective barrier on the inside of it might not make things even better. Yeah it boils, but anything I can do to help things along quicker might be worth a shot yeah?

It may help speed things up a bit. I would be concerned about getting the Graincoat over a Reflectx layer. I've got the Graincoat now and it is a pretty tight fit. If you're willing to spend the money, might as well give it a shot.

It may help speed things up a bit. I would be concerned about getting the Graincoat over a Reflectx layer. I've got the Graincoat now and it is a pretty tight fit. If you're willing to spend the money, might as well give it a shot.

Ill give it a shot worst case ill just return it.

also we really need a grainfather sub forum.

I mean really 284 pages (and growing) and almost 3k posts?

Ill give it a shot worst case ill just return it.

also we really need a grainfather sub forum.

I mean really 284 pages (and growing) and almost 3k posts?

Already posted boys...she won't fit...been there done that way back...just sayin' as I find some folks don't digest threads well or give feedback here...some...

Granted this is overkill and totally not needed, I however need to stop by lowes today anyway and pick up some faucet hole plugs for my sink. reflectix being only what 20bucks for a roll might, be worth picking some up just to try it out.

insulation + reflective barrier = win?

or possibly a melty mess
Hi. I didn't use Reflectix, but used a 1/8 inch thick yoga mat I "borrowed" from SWMBO and it seems to add a little extra insulation. Yes, it's a little tight, but it works with the Graincoat. Ed

Running the test now. Funny mine fits. Not sure how you couldnt get it to.

egBuB5K.jpg

Figured I would give reflectix + grain coat a try... for science of course. Results were negligible

These were my original numbers

filled with ~5g hot water. temps read at ~135*.

No graincoat

time to hit to strike temp of ~152 = 17min.

time to hit boil temps.

44mins @212* from 152*

With graincoat
135-> 152 11min
152->212 34min

No appreciable change that I can tell

Graincoat + reflectix

11min
34min

Hello all,

First Grainfather brew today. 110V U.S. system with the grain coat.

All went well, with small exception that I knocked the silicone cap off of the filter just as I came up to boil. My fault - aggressive stirring, paddle too low and rotation in exactly the wrong direction. Fortunately, it was a low hopped ale (2.5 oz total) and the pump somehow managed to do its job, albeit slowly...

Brewhouse efficiency was 80.5%, which seems a little low from what many are reporting, but much higher that I was getting via my old batch sparge system. Pre-boil gravity was 1.048 (estimated 1.047) and OG followed suit at 1.053 (estimated 1.052).

I did collect more wort than anticipated. I was shooting for a 6 gallon batch and collected 6.4. I started the process with 7.4 gallons prior to the 60 minute boil. Most of my brews are 60 minute boils and I'm interested in what others are getting.

Back