Grainfather!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey Guys. I'm totally torn...I was about to pull the trigger on my first homebrew setup when I came across this thread. I had seen some videos of the grainfather a while back and it looked kind of cheesy/toy-like to my inexperienced eyes. Also, being a new homebrewer, I sort of felt like it was cheating.

This is the system I was about to buy (dual 120v). Now after all these great reviews, I'm quite conflicted. What do you guys think of this CBS system? Will I have more brewing flexibility with the CBS one, or will I be able to make the same exact beers with the Grainfather?

http://www.cobrewingsystems.com/collections/frontpage/products/nano-brewer-home-electric-brew-system

Please assume the price difference doesn't matter and that I can easily find 2 separate circuits for the dual 120v elements in the CBS. Thanks guys!

*Probably doing 3-5 gallon brews for a long time. If it matters I live a block from the beach so I'm right at sea level.

Last edited:
That system looks fine...

Honestly either one is going to work for you... and that's what it's really all about. What is going to make you happy?

10 gallon batches might be a good thing for you... for me... I prefer 5 gallon batches. Not that one is better than the other... its just what I prefer.

Even though I finally have plenty of space for a larger brew system, I like the smaller size of the grainfather.

So, make a list of what's important to you and then see which system fulfills the list. Hope that helps or brings perspective...

KC

That system looks fine...

Honestly either one is going to work for you... and that's what it's really all about. What is going to make you happy?

10 gallon batches might be a good thing for you... for me... I prefer 5 gallon batches. Not that one is better than the other... its just what I prefer.

Even though I finally have plenty of space for a larger brew system, I like the smaller size of the grainfather.

So, make a list of what's important to you and then see which system fulfills the list. Hope that helps or brings perspective...

KC

KC, thanks for that. Me being so inexperienced, I am terrified of making a wrong decision. Especially with so few reviews out for Colorado Brewing systems. Really I just want to make sure that neither will inhibit me from making the best beer possible.

KC, thanks for that. Me being so inexperienced, I am terrified of making a wrong decision. Especially with so few reviews out for Colorado Brewing systems. Really I just want to make sure that neither will inhibit me from making the best beer possible.

No prob. We all make mistakes... you will too!

I think that a new brewer might be better suited to make 5 gallon batches, not that you can't start with 10. But 5 gallon batches will allow you to brew more often... unless you have a bunch of friends to share your beer with.

I am biased towards the Grainfather... because Santa is bringing me one this year!

Good luck with your brewing! :)

I prefer 5 gallon batches. I've had the ability to do 10 gallon batches on my propane system for 2 years now and never did one. I like to brew different beers and honestly 5 gallons lasts awhile for me. The beauty of the Grainfather is that it's so easy you will find yourself wanting to brew more often anyway.

With the larger systems I would be limited to brewing in the garage. And it gets quite cold in the winter where it's a challenge to get the motivation to brew out there. With the Grainfather I'm brewing year round comfy cozy in my kitchen. It's a beautiful thing.

Definitely doing 5 gallon batches or less. Excited to split into two batches and experiment with dry hopping or different yeasts, whatever.

Grainfather should cut a commission check to the OP, I think this thread has sold a few Grainfathers for sure and pretty sure I am about to be one of those sales :)

I took a look and was quite taken with the simplest one of their line up. But when I "priced" it out with some of the options, I was shocked at the price. the headline price is 275, that in itself is too good to be true. And then when they list what is included:
Whats Included;
7.5, 10, 15 or 20 gallon stainless steel brew kettle with welded fittings
Your choice of sanitary tri-clamp fittings or threaded couplings tig welded onto the kettle
All hardware (valve, thermometer, recirculation fitting)
400 Micron grain/mash basket
Optional kettle stand
Optional Chugger pump
Optional gas or electric operation
Optional 240V 30A electric PID control box with RTD temperature probe, 4500W heating element on 7.5 and 10 gallon versions, 5500W on 15 and 20 gallon versions.
120V 20A control panel also available for the 7.5 gallon system with a 2000W element
1 year warranty

Yet...yet, when you do the pulldowns, you'll get another price which is added to the base price of 275, something much much higher. I find such tactics and false information a real turn off.The grain basket isn't included in the price. Tri-clamps are a pricier options. They need a re-write of their copy to honestly reflect what it is they are selling for what price.

Personally, based just on that, I would not purchase from them.

Hey Guys. I'm totally torn...I was about to pull the trigger on my first homebrew setup when I came across this thread. I had seen some videos of the grainfather a while back and it looked kind of cheesy/toy-like to my inexperienced eyes. Also, being a new homebrewer, I sort of felt like it was cheating.

This is the system I was about to buy (dual 120v). Now after all these great reviews, I'm quite conflicted. What do you guys think of this CBS system? Will I have more brewing flexibility with the CBS one, or will I be able to make the same exact beers with the Grainfather?

http://www.cobrewingsystems.com/collections/frontpage/products/nano-brewer-home-electric-brew-system

Please assume the price difference doesn't matter and that I can easily find 2 separate circuits for the dual 120v elements in the CBS. Thanks guys!

*Probably doing 3-5 gallon brews for a long time. If it matters I live a block from the beach so I'm right at sea level.

This system is kick ass. if you have the extra $, I'd go with this as it is solid, industrial grade stuff.

Damn you redwing, just when i thought i had made my decision!

I have a Braumeister and it's one beautiful brewing machine. It's very high quality and build to last. The Grainfather is nice too, but it's built to get to a price point. Between the Colorado system and the Braumeister, I am not sure which I would go with. However, between the GF and the Colorado, I'd go Colorado for sure. Think long term!

Been hearing a lot about the Grainfather, both on this forum and elsewhere, and after watching a few demo videos online, I'm at the point to where I'm thinking "I really want one!" My local homebrew shop, Adventures In Homebrewing, has them in stock for $799. Maybe after I get my tax refund next April (Gotta love E-File) I'll pick one up. From what I can tell, it's a decent way of getting into all grain brewing without having to spend a fortune on equipment.

Only long term argument I can see is if you wish to brew 10 gallon batches someday. I've been home brewing for about 4 years now and never desired a 10 gallon batch. Other than that if you plan on just 5-6 gallon batches I don't think you can go wrong with the GF. But I'm sure the other system is good too. Good luck whichever way you go.

I'm very excited to be posting on this thread. Why? Because I made my decision and ordered a GF yesterday, so stoked to get it now!
I've been AG now for 2yrs, on propane with a cooler mash tun. I was looking to upgrade and very inspired by Kal's Electric Brewery. Just got a chugger (will return now!) and was getting a RIMS. I figure with that, fittings and the proper thickness tubing I'd be out near $400. This was all to be intermediary as I worked toward all electric 3v system. I read and read, and read this entire thread as well as other GF threads (this was most helpful one on the GF), and decided to move in this direction. At now 800, I can't resist, even for 900 its a great deal, and all of you and your experiences have been so encouraging, so thanks. Oh, and 1/2 is paid by gf as a Christmas present. :D
I ordered the mesh hop basket too, was cheaper than those on other sites, so why not, and I am slightly afraid of too much hop gunk mucking up the works. Now can't wait for it to come in!
I was at Lowe's today and almost bought the reflectix, but is the 16" roll adequate to cover, or do I need the 24" roll? I also am thinking about making it detachable w/Velcro since this system looks so nice as is!
I also can't wait to fill my SS Chronical (last year's Christmas present!) right from the chiller!!
Cheers!

I was at Lowe's today and almost bought the reflectix, but is the 16" roll adequate to cover, or do I need the 24" roll? I also am thinking about making it detachable w/Velcro since this system looks so nice as is!
I also can't wait to fill my SS Chronical (last year's Christmas present!) right from the chiller!!
Cheers!

Congrats on the GF! I can't wait to get mine too! As far as the reflectix, you'll need the 24".... do you have the template for the cutouts?

Or you can just give subtle hints to a family member that the Graincoat looks really nice on a GF and would make a fine xmas present. [emoji3]

FYI. The CBS system in the link has a 10 gal kettle. It will not make 10 gal batches.

The graincoat comment brings up a Question I've been kicking around. Has anyone done a test with the coat and without the coat? Significant? With the coat and with reflectix? Just wondering. I know reflectix is cheaper but the grain coat is slick. But, if one works better in biased to that.

I've got one of these in my cart at Williams, but so far haven't pulled the trigger.
My fear is the price is reduced because there is a new version coming soon.

Congrats on the GF! I can't wait to get mine too! As far as the reflectix, you'll need the 24".... do you have the template for the cutouts?

Thanks, I forgot about that template, thanks for reminding me. I just entered a GF template search and found it here: http://pixachrome.com/grainfather ...dimensions.jpg However, I keep getting the dreaded "page can not be displayed" message. :mad: Can you find a working link?

Yeah, I figured the 24" was the one I'd need, just saw the price of 16" was in line with a quote of pricing I read here and was a bit surprised.

Sure hope I get this by the weekend! Would like to open a present early and get started on a test run (and clean up) and then a brew! :ban:

Hey Singy, I emailed Grainfather peeps regarding this exact thing. Here was their response when I asked if an upgraded version would be realesed in the near future:

"We are constantly looking to improve the system and make it better for our users but the Grainfather is designed as a modular system so if there are any future upgrades it is extremely easy to swap parts out and change things though there is no requirement to do this as the current system works well. There are currently no planned changes or upgrades though!"

Well... I have the file, not the link. I'll pm you... :)

Or maybe this will work...

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/photo/graincoat-dimensions-66570.html
graincoat-dimensions-66570.html

Not really sure chigundo. But might I ask why in the world you would want to do that?

One of the major advantages to this system is the ability to brew indoors on a 110v circuit.

Wowza! This blew up haha! I'd have to say that the Braumeister is a great looking setup! So is the Colorado. They will all produce great beer, it's just that the price of the GF is pretty awesome! It's also 110v. With reflectix I'd say you do not need a graincoat. I'm right at sea level and hit boil pretty fast. Definitely no complaints! Well, I'd say my only complaint would be to add some handles for tipping the trub out and transporting it. But that's simple and I do not mind.

Oh and for the long term use, one thing that sold me is that there were a few people who did a group buy, and paced through over 10 years worth of average brewing in one year. They used and abused it, including transport and then wrote a review. It's a great machine, especially for the cost. My three tier setup would have cost me 2K to rebuild. This is all of that for 899$. :)

Not really sure chigundo. But might I ask why in the world you would want to do that?

One of the major advantages to this system is the ability to brew indoors on a 110v circuit.

Always brewed outside, which I like.. the selling point for me with the Grainfather is everything else about.

Always brewed outside, which I like.. the selling point for me with the Grainfather is everything else about.

Fair enough. To each their own. I have no intention of testing that though. Lol I'm on Long Island where it gets quite cold in the winter as well, though so far this winter is not representative of that.

Standing over a pot in the cold is not enjoyable for me so my brewing would go way down during the winter months. Now I setup in the kitchen and plop my arse down on the couch having a homebrew in the next room until I reach a step time. Lovin it!

Fair enough. To each their own. I have no intention of testing that though. Lol I'm on Long Island where it gets quite cold in the winter as well, though so far this winter is not representative of that.

Standing over a pot in the cold is not enjoyable for me so my brewing would go way down during the winter months. Now I setup in the kitchen and plop my arse down on the couch having a homebrew in the next room until I reach a step time. Lovin it!

I agree, one of the biggest reasons i want a GF is so i can just plug the guy into my wall! If it takes an extraz 30min to boil who cares?

Long island i see. Its been pretty cold here the last few weeks, -10 to 10C, i'm on the southeast coast of newfoundland. Relatively close to long island.

That works! That's quite a nicely detailed template someone put together, now to go get the reflectix and hopefully very soon the GF!

I just purchased a roll of Reflectix from Lo*es... $25. It's 24" tall x 25' long... I've heard some folks double wrap their GF...

Yes, that was my intention, wrap twice (if only 40", then there's enough for numerous wraps!). And was thinking about making it removable with Velcro. I think the GF looks too nice to always leave the Reflectix on, however, time will tell. May be more of a pita to take on and off and store. If I decide to keep on full time I will use foil tape to keep it neat.

Yes, that was my intention, wrap twice (if only 40", then there's enough for numerous wraps!). And was thinking about making it removable with Velcro. I think the GF looks too nice to always leave the Reflectix on, however, time will tell. May be more of a pita to take on and off and store. If I decide to keep on full time I will use foil tape to keep it neat.

Why all the insulation? Do you have a GF now? With all that insulation it will be a huge pain to keep clean.

If I was going to put that stuff on i would use bands. If you use velco i really don't think it will last unless you treat it like a little baby.

I think smallest roll is 25'. It's not high R Value, so if excess why not 2 or 3 wraps? No, waiting on GF delivery- ordered this past Sat.

Yeah not sure on how Velcro will work, but I've had lots of practice with my daughter up at college these past 4yrs. Comes in long rolls.

Not sure about bands, though I guess also not permanent, so can keep the good look after brewing, one of my goals.

For you guys using relectix, how about Velcro straps that go all around it?

My Graincoat stays on it full time. No need to remove it at all. Not sure you'd have to remove the reflectix either while cleaning. Although I don't know how durable it is to lean against a counter top while cleaning.

Back