Grainfather voltage question?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hobo

Reaction score
Hope this is not a redundant question:
Not being an electrician, I was wondering if there's reason a "240V version"(UK) of the Grainfather could not be operated on a 220V US line? Wouldn't you just need an adapter/plug of some sort? Or is the US 120V version the only one that can be operated in the US?

Hope this is not a redundant question:
Not being an electrician, I was wondering if there's reason a "240V version"(UK) of the Grainfather could not be operated on a 220V US line? Wouldn't you just need an adapter/plug of some sort? Or is the US 120V version the only one that can be operated in the US?

Europe uses a slower frequency also. I believe its 50 cycles per second has opposed to 60 per second in north american. I sure you can rig it up someway.

Hopefully more knowledgeable people can chime in. :)

However, my 110V system works fine. By the time your sparge is over you only have another 15-20min for it to start boiling.

Europe uses a slower frequency also. I believe its 50 cycles per second has opposed to 60 per second in north american. I sure you can rig it up someway.

Hopefully more knowledgeable people can chime in. :)

However, my 110V system works fine. By the time your sparge is over you only have another 15-20min for it to start boiling.

I cannot see any issues regarding 60 Hz vs. 50 Hz - the only thing that would matter would be the pump but that is likely to be rated for either frequency (will just spin faster with 60 Hz = more power but will draw slightly more current as a result)
Best bet would be to send them and email and ask if you could do it - use an example of someone immigrating to the US from the UK.
FYI the US is 240V not 220V (now... used to be 220V in the past as I understand)

Shouldn't be much of an issue. Your pump will spin about 20% faster. But you might want to talk to the manufacture because there may be some other reason 60 Hz will affect it. AND they may tell you its cool but it will void your warranty.

Cheers
Jay

Shouldn't be much of an issue. Your pump will spin about 20% faster. But you might want to talk to the manufacture because there may be some other reason 60 Hz will affect it. AND they may tell you its cool but it will void your warranty.

Cheers
Jay

Good point. you can probably kiss your warranty goodbye.

I live in Japan where the electricity is 100V and thinking about buying the US version of the grainfather. I'm guessing for the boil, I could just use a heat stick to up the temperature to get a rolling boil? Any recommendations for an appropriate heat stick for the grainfather?

Thanks!

I brought a European Unit home from Sweden. I have officially converted the unit over to work in USA.
Here is what you need to do.... I will attach pictures as well because this took time to figure out. ITS EASY!

In short all you need to do is swap one of the electrical outlets that supports 250v with a 250v receptacle. Then order a 250v 20A adapter from amazon and attach it to the cord. I have brewed about 10 times no problems and it heats fast. Here is the link for the adapter..
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01LYSD4A1/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Step by Step
1. locate a 240v that supports at least 20A in the fuse box. It will have a dual switch on it. Typically there is one for the dryer, washer, stove, and AC.

2. IF it is already a 250v 3 prong receptacle, your are good to go. If not, it is usually a 4 prong washer/dryer receptacle. If so, Kill the power, and swap it with a 250v 20A receptacle from lowes.

3. Order the 250V 20A adpater from amazon. It is called "Euro Plugs EA-21 TruAmp WonPro II US 250V 20A Plug Adapter w/ Schuko Ground"

4. Plug it all in- You are good to go.

NOTE: Grain father said that if you do this it will technically ruin your warranty---But how the hell will they know!!! MINE WORKS GREAT! I Consulted a certified electrician to come up with this.

Note: Do this at your own risk.... I am not a certified electrician. HAPPY BREWING

fuse box.jpg

250v receptacle.jpg

adapter.png

Last edited by a moderator:
If you have a 4 pin outlet could you not also wire up an adapter with the 3 pin outlet in a junction box with a short cord - just for those that still need a 4 pin outlet

Back