Anvil Foundry - Issue With Electronics/Controller?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 298779

Reaction score
Hello all,

Having an issue with my AF 6.5 and looking for help. It’s an early model with controls on bottom. Only been used 3-4 times. Kept in garage well protected and it’s not exposed to temp extremes (stays round 48F at lowest, 95F at highest).

The few time’s I’ve used it, it was on dedicated 20A/ 240V circuit. No issues…until I decided to try distilling with Turbo 500 w/ factory lid, inside on 20A/120V circuit. I removed my 240 adapter and switched unit to 120V setting, and reinstalled cover for unit’s voltage switch to prevent it from accidentally being changed to 240.

First distillation of sugar wash, no problem- 6.5 worked great. Several weeks later I tried my second distillation and the unit wouldn’t heat; stayed at ambient water temp.

Talked with Blichmann (BE) and Doug thought it might be a bad relay and sent me one. New relay didn’t solve the problem- still wouldn’t heat, no errors indicated. Second try after discussion/e-mail with Doug at BE…. decided it was likely a bad circuit board (controller).

Doug graciously sent me a new control board and new display board; arrived this afternoon. After reinstalling both boards with wiring connections matching the previous factory wiring I plugged unit in (120V circuit) and when I powered unit on the display just started flashing blue along with audible beeping.…non-stop.

Turned the 6.5 off and, well….here we are. I’d greatly appreciate it if someone knows anything about what might be causing the problem. Would rather look for answer here before bugging Doug again.

Cheers 🍻

I don't have anvil, but I did get a problem with my turbo 500 boiler, I burnt out the fuse in the base. There is a thermal cutout which can be reset and also an inline fuse that burns out. I only discovered this after replacing the thermal cut out. Could there be one of these in the anvil? that is accounting for the lack of power to element?

Thanks Dunc, yes it does. if I’m not mistaken if this fuse blows you’ll have no power to unit itself; my display was lit so it was getting power. The relay to burner was suspect issue but Blichmann quickly sent me replacement- didn’t solve problem. Display is still getting power after board swaps, but display is just flashing blue.

since you mentioned it, how do you like the still spirits turbo boiler. Which one do you have? I’m considering those if I can‘t get the Anvil back up and running. I’m using the Anvil for distilling anyway…

Cheers🍻

Last edited:
Have you checked the voltage at the outlet? Are you getting 120volts?

Have you tried it back on the 240V circuit? ...Why did you switch it? is what I'm wondering, as distilling takes more juice than brewing?

Have you tried it back on the 240V circuit? ...Why did you switch it? is what I'm wondering, as distilling takes more juice than brewing?
I have not tried on 240V. I switched due to weather change and brewing space. I no longer have a dedicated home brewing/distilling space…. hopefully we will again when we relocate. Yep, need to be running on 240V for sure.

Latest posts

Back